Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
The AV advocacy team partners with AV programmatic teams to advance research and evidence in the policy-making process and to build and maintain strategic alliances with key stakeholders. The Vice President of Advocacy, Health Care is responsible for developing and executing a complementary federal and state advocacy strategy and plan for advancing the organization’s health care policy priorities that impact health care affordability, quality and value for patients, businesses and taxpayers. This role is based in AV’s Washington, D.C. office and reports to the Executive Vice President of Advocacy.
- Collaborate with AV’s advocacy and health care teams to develop and refine grantmaking, investment, and partnership strategies to advance AV’s health care policy priorities.
- Build and manage relationships with key bipartisan stakeholders and policymakers.
- Lead a team to deploy multiple, fast-paced advocacy and communications strategies simultaneously at the federal and state level.
- Develop, manage, and evaluate the impact of advocacy grants and engagements aligned with AV’s health care policy priorities, including proactively engaging with grantees, reviewing proposals, advising applicants on scope and budget, monitoring projects and assessing impact, and supporting grantees in overcoming project obstacles.
- Create a strong cadence for sharing strategic advocacy objectives, grants, investments, partnerships, and work streams internally.
- Coordinate workstreams and collaboration across advocacy grantees and partners that overlap across geographies, audiences, or issue areas.
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, experts, new and existing grantees, and policymakers in close collaboration with the advocacy and health care teams.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 15 years of relevant senior-level advocacy experience which may include positions involving health care policy making, advocacy, government relations, and/or external affairs
- Proven ability to craft and execute high-impact multi-state and federal advocacy campaign strategies, including managing government relations strategies, grassroots organizing, and coalition-driven campaigns
- Demonstrated success advising and managing consultants, lobbyists, and legislative advocacy strategies
- Experience building and managing coalitions and strategic relationships with diverse groups and interests
- Understanding and interest in health care policymaking, systems, and processes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate key takeaways to diverse, nontechnical audiences
- Strong leadership, people management and relationship building skills
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help AV achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of AV’s work culture.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- We can interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals
AV’s values reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the AV team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
AV is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, AV is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.