Evidence and Evaluation Manager
Washington, D.C. or Houston, TX Posted: 05.02.2023
Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Ventures believes deeply in the importance of rigorous evidence to help guide policy decisions, program investments, and public spending in the United States. The Evidence and Evaluation (E&E) team plays a critical role in bringing this belief to life. Our team is dedicated to identifying effective programs and policies, and accelerating their adoption to drive better outcomes for children, families, and communities.
The E&E team focuses specifically on a few core strategies: (i) funding rigorous evaluations – mainly randomized controlled trials (RCTs) – to build the body of social programs with evidence of meaningful effects; (ii) exploring opportunities to accelerate local, state, and federal investments in scaling effective programs as well as supporting research and evidence-based reforms more broadly; and (iii) supporting the research and evaluation efforts of other teams at Arnold Ventures. For summaries of grants that have been funded by our team, please see here.
We are currently seeking an Evidence and Evaluation Manager to join the Evidence-Based Policy team to help research, identify, analyze, develop, and manage high-impact projects. This person will help develop and manage research agendas and research investments that advance policy reform. This position will be located in either our Washington, DC or Houston, TX office, and will report to the Executive Vice President of Evidence and Evaluation.
- Conduct policy analysis to identify opportunities for grantmaking investments to support scaling of evidence-based programs at the federal, state, and local levels
- Solicit, develop, and review grant proposals for rigorous evaluations studying important outcomes such as educational achievement, workforce earnings, criminal arrests, substance abuse, and hospitalizations
- Manage research grants, including working with grantees to develop pre-analysis plans, reviewing reports to monitor progress, problem-solving on project implementation challenges, and ensuring adherence to rigorous standards of quality and transparency
- Review, critique, and summarize grant reports and publications to understand findings and support of the team’s ongoing review of the social policy research literature
- Contribute to team meetings regarding projects, suggesting ideas, and brainstorming areas for improvement
- Provide technical assistance efforts to policy officials aimed at incorporating evidence-based reforms into government spending initiatives, including provisions to advance rigorous evaluations and the wider use of research-proven programs and practices
- Collaborate with other Arnold Ventures teams on their research and evaluation efforts, and identify opportunities for collaboration on potential projects, learning opportunities, and grants
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3 – 5 years of work experience and/or academic training in social policy research and/or impact evaluations, with a solid grounding in research designs and methods, particularly randomized controlled trials (RCTs)
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in the use of research to address social challenges and influence public policy
- Exceptional project management and organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to synthesize a variety of information and communicate clearly with researchers, experts, and policymakers
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Here are some examples of our core values and work culture in action.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity.
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback.
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external partners, peers, and stakeholders.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.