Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Policing Analyst: New York City, NY or Washington, DC
Prisons and Fines & Fees Analyst: Washington, DC
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Department: Criminal Justice
Report To: TBD
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Arnold Ventures’ Criminal Justice initiative aims to advance community safety and the values of fairness, effectiveness, and racial justice. We fund innovative work in six domains: Policing, Pretrial Justice, Community Supervision, Prisons, Reintegration, and Fines & Fees. The Initiative works with teams of experts from inside and outside government and across disciplines to reform the U.S. criminal justice system through research, evidence, testing innovative pilot programs, and policy change.
We are seeking two Criminal Justice Analysts to help provide research, analytical, and operational support–one will join the policing team, and the other will join the team focusing on prisons and fines & fees reform. These individuals will work closely with team members on diverse substantive projects and gain practical hands-on experience in supporting the development and management of research, policy, and advocacy initiatives and high-impact philanthropic projects in the field of criminal justice.
- Provide analytical and operational support for the Criminal Justice initiative’s funding initiatives, including active collaboration with senior team members on grants management, performance tracking, oversight, and team process management
- Create data visualizations and visual presentations that effectively communicate research/analysis findings, as well as the team’s objectives and strategies including in preparation for Board meetings
- Support research, development, evaluation, and tracking of potential policy areas and projects related to the team’s focus areas
- Compose, fact-check, and edit policy papers, team strategies, presentations, letters, website content, and other written materials
- Coordinate and actively contribute to meetings with partners and stakeholders, including advocates, community organizations and leaders, foundation officials, policy makers, researchers, and others
- One to two years of relevant work experience, including part-time work or internships or equivalent experience; preference for experience in positions involving policy reform, research, and/or project management
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Demonstrated experience and skill synthesizing and assessing information
- Excellent listening and communication skills, including the ability to absorb, analyze, and convey complex ideas in a clear and concise manner verbally and in writing
- Exceptional organization skills and ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- Thorough and attentive to detail in both substantive and operational tasks
- Flexible, adaptable, and comfortable with change
- Team-oriented and collaborative, yet also able to effectively and proactively manage individual responsibilities
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Creative and innovative approach to problem solving
- Curious and humble
- Passionate about advancing the values of fairness, effectiveness, and racial justice and improving community safety
- Comfortable engaging with people with diverse experiences and perspectives
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, data visualization and presentation, and other standard computer applications; experience with Salesforce a plus
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.