Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Houston, TX
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Reports to: Vice President of Communications
Travel: Occasional travel expected
The Communications Team at one of the largest philanthropies in the country is looking for an experienced and innovative Communications Manager who thrives on making the complex accessible and the important inspirational. The Communications Manager will partner with our Education, Public Finance, and New Programs teams to strategize and execute communications of all kinds that support and elevate the teams’ goals. Is telling stories what you do? Are you equally pumped to land a top-tier media story as you are to plan a convening of experts? Love to never have the same day twice? This may be the role for you.
This position requires cross-organizational collaboration and relationships and the ability to quickly gain expertise in a variety of strategic areas. Experience reporting about or communicating on behalf of education or public policy issues would be ideal in a candidate, though topics you’ll be on point for will include a variety of emerging priorities for Arnold Ventures. This is a unique opportunity to join a forward-thinking, results-driven team as it grows and evolves to most effectively tell stories around some of the most pressing, complex issues of our time.
The Communications Manager will create targeted communications including written stories, op-eds, video scripts, and presentations. The ability to humanize compelling stories in multiple formats and distill complex systems and ideas is crucial. If you have a track record of strategic storytelling and want to put that to work making a difference, we want to talk to you..
- Manage relationships with issues teams, developing communications strategies and plans that include owned, earned, and paid media, in support of short- and long-term goals
- Develop integrated internal and external communications plans and create content, including digital stories, informational graphics, executive communiques, annual reports, fact sheets, op-ed submissions and more
- Advise programmatic teams on message framing, media positioning, and utilization of communications consultants
- Manage freelancers and consultants in order to flex capacity and access expertise
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with local, state, and national media
- Develop and manage grantee communications strategies, protocols, and materials
- Review and guide issue briefs, solution papers, written public testimony, and requests for proposals
- In coordination with media relations manager, recommend and develop press releases and media advisories, strategic media pitches, and opportunities for internal experts to weigh in on an issue
- Coordinate digital media strategies with communications team members, ensuring alignment with both programmatic and broader organization goals
- Develop and lead comprehensive strategies for public launches and announcements, following communications and event-planning best practices
- 10 years of experience as a strategic communications professional, journalist, or in a related communications role
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, political science, public policy, or a related field
- Experience developing and executing communications plans
- Extensive writing and editing experience
- Ability to communicate across a wide variety of platforms (i.e., digital, print, speechwriting, etc.)
- Ability to evaluate complex information, see all sides of an issue, and provide communications recommendations
- Experience in crafting messages for specific target audiences (i.e., general public, practitioners, public officials, etc.)
- Ability to multitask and to simultaneously handle a variety of projects
- Keen attention to detail
- Track record of working hard and having fun doing it
If interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line of the email that the application is for the Communications Manager position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.