Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Houston, TX
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Reports to: Vice President of Communications
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications, the manager will build out both short- and long-term communications strategies responsive to the health care team’s goals and in alignment with the organization’s big-picture media strategy. A key aspect of this position involves the development and creation of informational materials. The final product will be shared across a number of different platforms (web, video, print, etc.) and will target a variety of different audiences, including members of the general public, industry practitioners, and/or public officials. As a result, the Communications Manager must be capable of summarizing complex systems and/or ideas for a broad range of audiences. Familiarity with the different demands and best practices associated with different types of communications is important (i.e., writing for web vs. writing for op-ed).
A strong ability to multitask is absolutely essential for this position, as the priorities and demands of the job can change on a regular basis. For example, one day may involve working with a graphics designer on a social media card to visually explain the concept of Pharmacy Benefit Managers (PBMs). The next day may include developing a national op-ed strategy on Medicare legislation or connecting a media outlet with a subject-matter expert. Experience working in health care communications is preferred but not required. The ability to tell compelling stories in multiple formats, including multimedia-rich web features, is a must.
- Manage relationships with health care team, developing communications strategies, including earned, owned, and paid media, in support of short- and long-term goals
- Develop integrated internal and external communications plans and create necessary content, including executive communiques, web features, informational graphics, annual reports, fact sheets, and op-ed submissions
- Advise programmatic teams on message framing, media positioning, and utilization of communications consultants
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with local, state, and national media
- Develop and manage grantee communications strategies, protocols, and materials
- Review and guide issue briefs, solution papers, written public testimony, and requests for proposals
- In coordination with media relations manager, recommend and develop press releases and media advisories, strategic media pitches, and opportunities for internal experts to weigh in on an issue
- Coordinate digital media strategies with communications team members, ensuring alignment with both programmatic and broader foundation goals
- Develop and lead comprehensive strategies for public launches and announcements, following communications and event-planning best practices
- Minimum of 10 years of experience as a professional writer, journalist, or in a related communications role
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, political science, public policy, or a related field
- Experience developing and executing communications plans
- Extensive writing and editing experience
- Ability to communicate across a wide variety of platforms (i.e., digital, print, speechwriting, etc.)
- Ability to evaluate complex information, see all sides of an issue, and provide communications recommendations
- Experience in crafting messages for specific target audiences (i.e., general public, practitioners, public officials, etc.)
- Ability to multitask and to simultaneously handle a variety of projects
- Keen attention to detail
If interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line of the email that the application is for the "Communications Manager" position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.