Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: New York, NY preferred
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Department: Criminal Justice
Report to: Executive Vice President of Criminal Justice
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Arnold Ventures’ Criminal Justice Initiative aims to advance community safety and the values of fairness, effectiveness, and racial justice. We fund innovative work in five domains: Policing, Pretrial Justice, Community Supervision, Prisons, and Reintegration. The Initiative works with teams of experts from inside and outside government and across disciplines to reform the U.S. criminal justice system through research, evidence, testing innovative pilot programs, and policy change.
Arnold Ventures is seeking an entrepreneurial, innovative, bold executive to lead our pretrial justice portfolio. The Vice President of Criminal Justice will be responsible for further developing Arnold Ventures’ pretrial justice strategy; identifying new, high-leverage philanthropic opportunities to advance evidence, policy, and practice; and managing current investments within the pretrial justice portfolio, which focuses primarily on bail reform, prosecution, and public defense. The Vice President of Criminal Justice will play a key role in defining and implementing Arnold Ventures’ pretrial justice strategic plan for philanthropic investment and will report directly to the Executive Vice President of Criminal Justice.
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors and Executive Vice President of Criminal Justice to lead Arnold Ventures’ pretrial justice strategy
- Recruit, lead and manage Arnold Ventures’ pretrial justice team within the Criminal Justice Initiative
- Identify, research, and evaluate new, high-leverage philanthropic opportunities to support policies that decarcerate, protect individuals’ constitutional rights, advance community safety, and promote racial justice
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures’ Communications and Advocacy staff to support the development and implementation of strategic goals
- Present and make investment/grant recommendations to Arnold Ventures’ Board
- Execute and manage investments approved by Arnold Ventures’ Board
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, such as national criminal justice organizations, universities, practitioners, other funders, experts, and new and existing grantees
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures’ staff to explore and develop cross-initiative investment opportunities
- Provide strategic direction and support to the entire Criminal Justice Initiative as part of a leadership team, along with the Executive Vice President, Vice Presidents overseeing other parts of the criminal justice portfolio, and Chief of Staff
- Advanced degree(s) in public policy, criminal justice, law, or a related field
- Senior-level and practical experience working in the U.S. criminal justice system
- At least fifteen (15) years of relevant work experience
- Proven commitment to and passion for racial justice and social justice
- Recognized expertise in the pretrial justice field a plus
- Proven ability to think transformationally about criminal justice and to design innovative strategies for positive and sustainable reforms
- Effective leadership and management skills
- Strategic, entrepreneurial approach to developing ideas and designing solutions
- Ability to bring disparate constituents together and build consensus
- Builds and maintains strategic relationships with key stakeholders
- Creativity and rigor in finding answers to complex problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to understand technical and theoretical concepts
- Capacity to effectively prioritize projects, work simultaneously on multiple ventures, and meet deadlines
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.