Strategic Initiatives Fellow
Houston, TX Posted: 04.20.2023
Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Venture’s strategic initiatives team advises the Co-Founders and the President and CEO on strategy, planning, management, metrics, public policy and politics. They also manage the Board’s external engagements and oversees the organization’s internal communications function.
We are seeking a Fellow to play a key role in executing the team’s annual and multi-year strategies, interacting with key internal and external stakeholders, measuring key performance metrics of the organization, and leading special projects. This individual will work closely with Vice President of Strategic Initiatives, participating in high-level meetings, traveling as needed, preparing briefings, conducting research, and owning targeted initiatives. In addition, the Fellow will interface with the AV Executive team to integrate work across teams and functions.
Term & Location
The Strategic Initiatives Fellow will be a regular, full-time position and eligible to participate in Arnold Ventures’ benefits plan. While the term of the position is not guaranteed, it is anticipated that the Fellow will be appointed for a two-year fixed term. This position will be located in our Houston office and report to the VP.
- Be a thought partner to the Office of the President team to determine and prioritize decisions, manage time, prepare materials, and brainstorm strategic objectives
- Facilitate team’s day-to-day operations, in close coordination with the Vice President of Strategic Initiatives and Director, Office of the President , to maximize the team’s efficiency and alignment
- Provide high-level, quick, and in-depth analysis of policy, politics and industry trends
- Support the VP and Director, OOP in creating presentations materials, background briefs and talking points. Maintain post-meeting debriefs and communicate to relevant stakeholders
- Produce consolidated reporting to VP, including tracking, reporting of internal documents that require coordinating data and information from around the organization
- Develop written content for internal purposes and processes, such as literature reviews and research summaries, issue briefs, and funding recommendation memos for concept notes and proposals
- Manage relationships cross-functionally within AV teams
- Manage near and long-term meeting agendas for VP
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 4 – 6 years of relevant work experience preferably in positions involving policy, consulting, advocacy, research, or project management
- Demonstrated history of operational efficiency and optimization
- Exceptional people and project manager with extraordinary organizational skills
- Outstanding data mining skills, particularly in policy analysis and political insights
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity.
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback.
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals impacted by the justice system.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.