Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Houston, TX
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Reports to: Vice President of Communications
Travel: Occasional travel expected
The Communications Team at one of the biggest philanthropies in the country is looking for an experienced and creative Social Media Manager who thrives on combining technology and storytelling in service of social justice. Can’t help staying up-to-the-minute on social platforms’ changing strategies for distribution and marketing? Love to use your creativity to produce new ways to tell digital stories? Dig data almost as much as you do creating the perfect GIF? Then you may be the right person for this role.
The Social Media Manager will develop and execute a social media strategy that enhances our digital storytelling, expands awareness of our philanthropy’s mission, and grows and engages audiences in our key focus areas: criminal justice, health, education, public finance, research, and evidence-based policy. The Social Media Manager must take complex information and present it across platforms in compelling and visual ways for a broad range of audiences, taking care to understand and communicate nuances in policy and positioning. The team’s work requires everything from solo work to full-team multimedia/multifunctional projects, so candidates should be self-starters, idea-generators, and equally adept at leading and following. The manager will collaborate with teams across the organization to develop content and campaigns, so an ability to juggle multiple priorities at once is essential.
This is a unique opportunity to join a forward-thinking, fast-paced, results-driven team as it grows and evolves to most effectively tell stories around some of the most pressing, complex issues of our time. If you use your social media expertise to constantly innovate how to tell and distribute stories, we want to talk to you.
- Develop a social media strategy that incorporates best practices for original and paid content and identifies key audiences across our core social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Create compelling, high-quality written and visual content in our brand voice around our programmatic areas of criminal justice, health, education, public finance, research, and evidence-based policy
- Collaborate with the in-house Communications team, programmatic teams, external consultants, and a network of freelance designers and videographers to develop social-first content
- Maintain a daily calendar for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn, including scheduling and posting, to ensure consistent delivery of engaging content that speaks to our target audiences and reinforces our key messages
- Develop, manage, and execute organic and targeted paid campaigns around news, grants, announcements, podcasts, our in-house experts, and policy positions
- Plan and execute Facebook Live or live-tweeting events around major announcements or speeches, panels, and hearings where our experts are featured
- Monitor and maintain weekly and monthly reports on key metrics such as audience growth, engagement, and reach, measure effectiveness of organic and paid campaigns, and interpret performance results
- Respond in a timely way to comments and inquiries from our social media audiences
- Stay up-to-date on current developments in social media algorithms, tools, best practices, benchmarks, and audience preferences
- Identify opportunities for leveraging content in response to trends, current events, and the daily news cycle
- Grow an engaged follower base while identifying and then cultivating relationships with influencers, organizations, and entities in the digital space
- Identify and engage in opportunities for cross-promotion and partnerships to amplify our messaging
- Proactively monitor social media chatter and escalate issues and insights
- Develop social media guidelines and training for staff and toolkits for grantees to help them amplify our messaging
- Ability to be flexible and fill in gaps on the team as needed (for example, posting to the web when the digital communications manager is unavailable)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a social media manager, digital communications professional, journalist, or in a related communications role
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, marketing, political science, public policy, or a related field
- Successful track record of developing and executing social media strategies
- Ability to quickly synthesize complex information into social-friendly content
- Extraordinary attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy
- Excellent copywriting and copyediting skills
- Interest in news, policy, and politics
- Demonstrated ability to grow social media channel engagement and audiences through organic and paid campaigns
- Experience implementing and executing strategies and digital advertising campaigns on Facebook ads, Twitter ads, Instagram ads, and LinkedIn ads
- Experience using social media management tools such as Sprout, Hootsuite, or Buzzsumo
- Experience creating data reports and tracking analytics to measure effectiveness of initiatives and interpret campaign performance results
- Self-starter who is able to work independently, assumes personal ownership of work, and enjoys generating and implementing new ideas
- A strong ability to multitask and handle competing deadlines and projects
- Ability to overcome unforeseen obstacles and see projects through to completion
- Highly collaborative, receptive to feedback, and solicits and values multiple perspectives
- Knowledge of graphic design, photography, and web development
- Experience working with HTML/CSS or content management systems such as Wordpress and Craft
- A passion for making a difference and a willingness to have fun even while doing so
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
If interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line of the email that the application is for the Social Media Manager position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.