Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Ventures’ Criminal Justice Initiative aims to advance community safety and the values of fairness, effectiveness, and racial justice. We fund innovative work in five domains: Policing, Pretrial Justice, Community Supervision, Prisons, and Reintegration. The Initiative works with teams of experts from inside and outside government and across disciplines to reform the U.S. criminal justice system through research, evidence, testing innovative pilot programs, and policy change.
The Pretrial team focuses on the pretrial system — namely bail, prosecution, and public defense — and supports policies that decarcerate, protect individuals’ constitutional rights, advance community safety, and promote racial justice.
We are seeking a Manager of Criminal Justice to work on the Pretrial team to help research, identify, analyze and develop new opportunities within our priorities, support and inform strategy development and stakeholder engagement, and monitor research and evidence in the pretrial field of criminal justice. This position will be located in our New York office and report to the Director of Criminal Justice, Pretrial.
- In collaboration with the Director of Criminal Justice, Pretrial, identify, assess, and develop high-impact investment opportunities and recommendations for funding
- Prepare and present proposals to the Director of Criminal Justice Research, Criminal Justice leadership team, and Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors
- Provide thought partnership to grantees on proposals, which will include working with grantees and partners to design and structure projects and deliverables, establish performance metrics, assist grantees in troubleshooting and overcoming obstacles, and monitor progress and impact
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, experts, and new and existing grantees
- Review, critique, and draft summaries of relevant legislation, policy and programming to inform strategic priorities, research agendas, and the development of future investments
- Manage grants and investments, track progress and impact, and draw lessons from these investments to inform strategic priorities and the development of future investments
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2 to 4 years of relevant work experience (inclusive of graduate work) preferably in positions involving policy, consulting, advocacy, research, or project management with a focus on criminal justice policy or programming
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in policy, research, and legislative developments related to criminal and racial justice
- Strong ability to analyze policy, research, and related data and information for strategic insights
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to summarize and communicate key takeaways to diverse, nontechnical audiences
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
- We have a proven commitment to and passion for racial and social justice.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity.
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback.
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals impacted by the justice system.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.