Arnold Ventures, a philanthropy dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States, is seeking an Internal Communications Manager to join its Houston-based Communications team. The ideal candidate will have experience writing and editing a variety of employee-focused communications pieces, including but not limited to Intranet features, email newsletters, presentations, and executive communiques. In this position, a proven ability to effectively collaborate with other teams while ensuring a consistent, clear voice across all internal platforms is critical. As this position regularly interfaces with Human Resources and potentially sensitive information, maintaining confidentiality and adhering to the highest standards of ethical and professional behavior is an absolute must.
Arnold Ventures invests in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking and a strong foundation of evidence. Having launched a new brand and website in early 2019, the Houston-based philanthropy is expanding its storytelling efforts in the areas of criminal justice, health care, education, and public finance. At the same time, the philanthropy’s staff is growing, with more than 90 employees as of March 2019. The Internal Communications Manager will play a key role in communicating the organization’s strategic goals and progress toward meeting them, seeking out contemporary methods of engaging with employees and building a culture of two-way communication.
Essential Skills, Experience, & Qualities
- Experience developing and executing internal communications and/or employee engagement plans
- Extensive writing and editing experience
- Ability to distill complex information into essential messages for a variety of audiences
- Ability to multitask, simultaneously handle a variety of projects, and maintain confidentiality
- Keen attention to detail
- Develop integrated internal communications plans and create necessary content, including executive communiques, Intranet features, FAQs, and employee profiles
- Solicit, write, and edit content for the Intranet while maintaining editorial calendar that supports organization-wide priorities as set by the President’s Office
- Update employee Intranet regularly; develop workflows that enable both division-specific and organization-wide messages to reach targeted audiences in a streamlined manner
- Ensure consistency, cadence, and coherence of messaging and employee resources across multiple internal communications channels
- Research new communications platforms and emerging trends in employee engagement, elevating opportunities to appropriate leadership staff
- Support implementation of new communications platforms or integration of existing applications, as appropriate
- Support onboarding process, in partnership with Human Resources, by maintaining the visibility and clarity of Arnold Ventures internal positioning statements, brand guidelines, and other essential resources as determined by the President’s Office
- Ensure new hires are communicated in a timely, thoughtful fashion, capturing bios and material for future narratives
- Support and guide employee presentations, both internally and externally, by maintaining dynamic, easy-to-use PowerPoint templates, factsheets, and other collateral
- Support cross-functional teams assigned to organization-wide events such as the Annual Team Meeting
- Assist in the development and maintenance of communications toolkits and protocols
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in communications or journalism
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, or a related field
If you are interested in this position, please send a resume, a cover letter that indicates how you learned about this position, two writing samples, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email subject line, please indicate that you are applying for the position of "Internal Communications Manager." Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.