Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Reporting to the Finance Director, the Finance Manager will be responsible for coordinating and assisting with various finance and budgeting tasks in relation to Arnold Ventures external philanthropic giving. We are seeking a dynamic and motivated individual who can provide financial analysis and cost effectiveness review skills to the Arnold Ventures giving. This position will leverage existing partnerships and processes to review budget models departmentally and at the grantee level, as well as perform other analysis and reporting as needed. This position will be located in the Houston, Texas office.
- Review and assess prospective and active grantees’ and consultants’ budgets for reasonableness, accuracy, and compliance with Arnold Ventures grant requirements, nonprofit laws, and industry standards
- Perform financial due diligence on prospective grantees
- Negotiate with grantees and consultants to achieve cost-efficient budgets
- Ensure complete documentation of all relevant financial and budgetary information for a given project is presented to Board for approval, and attend Board meetings as needed
- Research, organize, analyze and track relevant financial information and trends for potential and existing grants, consultants, and programmatic investments
- Actively participate in the complete grant making process, including evaluation of grant proposals and agreements for budget-related compliance, to monitoring and reviewing ongoing financial activity across hundreds of grants and advising programmatic teams on active grant management
- Work on various ad-hoc projects with Finance, programmatic, and operational teams
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, or Finance
- Minimum three years of Accounting, Business, or Finance experience
- Demonstrated mastery level of proficiency in MS Excel and Word
- Strong, effective financial, managerial and negotiation skills
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in an accurate, efficient, and timely manner
- Keen attention to detail
- Proactive and open to embracing new challenges
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Positive, professional, and energetic team-oriented attitude
- Excellent written and oral communication abilities
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.