Arnold Ventures is a philanthropic organization whose core objective is to address our nation’s most pressing and persistent challenges using evidence-based, multi-disciplinary approaches to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. The philanthropy strives to create functional solutions that target the root causes, not just the symptoms, of these problems. The solutions must be both scalable nationally and sustainable without permanent philanthropy.
Position: Evidence-Based Policy Analyst
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Location: Washington, D.C.
Arnold Ventures’ Evidence-Based Policy initiative seeks to increase the effectiveness of social spending through the use of rigorous evidence about “what works.” Our efforts focus specifically on (i) funding rigorous research aimed at building the body of social programs with credible evidence of sizable effects in addressing poverty, educational failure, crime, and other social problems; and (ii) assisting policy officials to incentivize widespread adoption of such programs, to improve people’s lives on a large scale.
The Evidence-Based Policy Analyst will (i) provide research, analytical, and operational support to the Evidence-Based Policy team; (ii) gain practical, hands-on experience in funding and reviewing rigorous program evaluations, and using the results to inform the policy process; and (iii) work closely with senior team members on diverse substantive projects.
- Provide analytical and operational support for the Evidence-Based Policy team’s research funding initiatives (e.g., Randomized Controlled Trials to Evaluate Social Programs Whose Delivery Will Be Funded by Government or Other Entities, Demonstrating the Power of Evidence-Based Programs to “Move the Needle” on Major U.S. Social Problems), and for the team’s internal evidence review processes;
- Conduct research/analysis of social programs and policies, and help develop policy initiatives based on such analysis;
- Compose, fact-check, and edit policy papers, letters, and other written materials;
- Manage the Evidence-Based Policy Team’s websites (Straight Talk on Evidence & Social Programs that Work) by helping to develop and update content;
- Actively contribute to team meetings regarding projects, suggesting new internal initiatives and brainstorming areas for improvement;
- Coordinate and actively contribute to meetings on evidence-based reform with government officials, researchers, foundation officials, program providers, and other stakeholders; and
- Collaborate with other Arnold Ventures teams (e.g., Criminal Justice, Higher Education) in areas of joint activity.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Qualities:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in economics, public policy, or a related field with an emphasis on quantitative research methods;
- Experience managing and completing complex projects with careful attention to detail;
- Strong quantitative skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to engage with a wide variety of audiences and convey complex ideas in a clear and concise manner;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Self-motivated, adaptable, and able to complete tasks efficiently with minimal supervision;
- Strong commitment to evidence-based policy and using rigorous evidence to improve public policy;
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, and other standard computer software.
- One to two years’ experience in a related field, including part-time work or internships;
- Prior exposure to rigorous program evaluations, including randomized controlled trials;
- Experience using Salesforce and WordPress.
If you are interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. In the email subject line, please indicate that you are applying for the position of Evidence-Based Policy Analyst. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.