Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Houston, TX
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Report to: Vice President of Communications
Travel: Occasional travel expected
The Communications Team is looking for an experienced and innovative Communications Manager who thrives on making the complex accessible and the important inspirational. The Communications Manager will collaborate with a variety of our programmatic teams to strategize and execute communications to support and elevate the portfolios’ goals.
Is telling stories what you do? Are you equally pumped to land a top-tier media story about higher-education accountability as you are to plan a convening of experts to talk about inequities in access to contraception? Love to never have the same day twice?
The Communications Manager will create targeted communications including written stories, op-eds, video scripts, and presentations. The ability to humanize compelling stories in multiple formats and distill complex systems and ideas is crucial. This position requires cross-organizational collaboration and relationships and the ability to quickly gain expertise in a variety of strategic areas. Experience reporting about or communicating on behalf of social justice policy issues would be ideal.
This is a unique opportunity to join a forward-thinking, results-driven team as it grows and evolves to most effectively tell stories around some of the most pressing, complex issues of our time. If you have a track record of strategic storytelling and want to put that to work making a difference, we want to talk to you.
- Manage relationships with programmatic teams and grantees, partners, consultants, and freelancers, working to build communications planning into internal and external projects
- In coordination with the Director of Strategic Communications and fellow communications managers, develop communications plans for Arnold Ventures’ and its grantees’ work that includes owned, earned, and paid media, in support of short- and long-term goals
- Create and review content, including digital stories, issue briefs, informational graphics, video storytelling, annual reports, fact sheets, op-ed submissions, and more
- In coordination with Media Relations Manager, recommend and develop strategic media pitches and opportunities for internal experts to weigh in on an issue
- Coordinate digital media strategies with communications team members, ensuring alignment with both programmatic and broader organizational goals
- Develop and lead comprehensive strategies for public launches and announcements, following communications and event-planning best practices
- 5-7 years of experience as a strategic communications professional, or in a related communications role
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, political science, public policy, or a related field
- Experience developing and executing communications plans
- Extensive writing and editing experience with a track record of creating top-quality written materials and crafting messages for specific target audiences (i.e. general public, practitioners, public officials, etc.)
- Ability to communicate across a wide variety of platforms (i.e. digital, print, speechwriting, etc.)
- Ability to evaluate complex information, to see all sides of an issue, and provide communications recommendations
- Ability to multitask and to simultaneously handle a variety of projects
- Keen attention to detail
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter and writing sample in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.