Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
As a nation, we face many challenges that require public sector solutions. Trillions of dollars are projected to be spent on the infrastructure needed to decarbonize our economy, build necessary housing stock, and replace aging bridges and highways. However, the capacity of local, state, and federal government to cost-effectively build the things our society needs in a timely way has degraded significantly. Progress is hampered by the very policies and regulations that were meant to solve the challenges we face. We need to rebuild government’s ability to deliver tangible public value and its role in improving access to necessary services, infrastructure, and innovation.
As with many issues AV tackles, this is one where there is an emerging consensus between the left and the right that points towards the potential of bipartisanship. Arnold Ventures seeks to address this challenge: first by studying it and understanding its root causes, then by developing a thesis and evaluating the evidence to identify workable solutions, and finally to get those solutions translated into meaningful public policy.
To lead this work, we seek a dynamic, senior-level team member that will manage a portfolio focused on the drivers of supply-side bottlenecks and how government can rebuild its role to alleviate them and accelerate progress. The Vice President of Infrastructure will serve as an advisor and counsel to the Arnold Ventures Board of Directors and will oversee grant making and research efforts.
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors, as well as other key members of the executive team, to develop and refine the organization’s investment thesis and related strategy for driving positive outcomes
- Lead a lean, nimble, and high-functioning team to deploy portfolio strategies
- Execute and manage charitable investments approved by the Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors, which will include working with grantees to develop research and project specific initiatives, establishing performance metrics, and monitoring performance
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, experts, new and existing grantees, and policymakers
- Engage in planning with Arnold Ventures team members to explore and develop cross-initiative charitable investment opportunities
- Ensure the successful implementation and integration of communications and advocacy strategies and activities within our infrastructure portfolio goals and investments
- 12 or more years of relevant experience in clean energy, housing, or transportation infrastructure projects or policy efforts
- Bachelors’ degree required
- Knowledge of and deep understanding of infrastructure and regulatory policy across clean energy, housing, and transportation.
- Successful track record of using rigorous evidence to support policy reform
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate key takeaways to diverse, nontechnical audiences.
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Here are some examples of our core values and work culture in action.
- We have a proven commitment to and passion for racial and social justice.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity.
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback.
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external partners, peers, and stakeholders.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.