Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Salary: Competitive salary based on qualifications plus benefits
Reports to: Executive Vice President of Advocacy
Travel: Frequent Travel expected
Arnold Ventures' advocacy team strengthens the organization’s partnerships with federal and state governments and helps the organization’s programmatic teams bring the findings of new research into the policymaking process. The advocacy team is responsible for developing and executing advocacy campaigns on the organization’s policy priorities; building, resourcing, and maintaining strategic alliances with engaged and influential state and national partners and stakeholders; and managing relationships with key state and federal policymaking officials.
Arnold Ventures seeks to add a dynamic, senior-level team member to build state advocacy capacity and advance the organization’s health care policy priorities by identifying opportunities, making strategic investments, and providing expert campaign guidance to key stakeholders in order to influence national policy debates. The Vice President must be able to think independently and creatively, have a proven record of designing and executing successful policy campaigns, manage strategic relationships at the state and national levels, and have experience managing small teams. The position will work collaboratively with senior programmatic team members and report to the Executive Vice President of Advocacy.
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures’ Executive Vice President of Advocacy and other key members of the advocacy team to develop and refine the organization’s investment and partnership strategies to advance policy priorities
- Lead a small, high-functioning team to deploy advocacy strategies at the state and national levels
- Execute and manage charitable investments approved by Arnold Ventures’ Board, which will include working with grantees to develop strategic campaign plans, establishing performance metrics, and monitoring the performance
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, experts, new and existing grantees, and policymakers
- Engage in planning with Arnold Ventures staff to explore and develop cross-initiative charitable investment opportunities
- Manage the integration of policy and programmatic team activities with both paid and earned communications strategies and tactics
- Advanced degree(s) in public policy or a related field desirable
- At least 15 years of relevant senior-level experience working in government, consulting, or think tanks
- Proven ability to craft and execute high-impact multi-state campaign strategies
- Experience supporting policy advocacy and lobbying, working in state or federal legislative and executive branch offices on public policy issues
- Demonstrated success advising, managing, and resourcing grassroots strategies
- Experience building and managing coalitions and strategic relationships with diverse groups and interests
- Knowledgeable of state policymaking systems, processes, and political activity reporting requirements
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strategic, entrepreneurial approach to developing advocacy solutions
- Creativity and rigor in finding answers to complex problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including experience leading and facilitating executive-level discussions
- Ability to understand and translate technical and theoretical concepts to multiple audiences
- Capacity to effectively prioritize projects, work simultaneously on multiple ventures, and meet deadlines
- Passion for Arnold Ventures’ mission, motivated and energized by creating positive social change
- Makes things happen, does not wait for the invitation, assumes personal ownership, rolls up sleeves and does whatever it takes to get things done
- Collaborative, solicits and values multiple perspectives, shares knowledge, and partners with all stakeholders to make change
- Able to deal with ambiguity, thrives in rapidly evolving environment
- Flexible and agile, responsive to feedback, open to changing direction, focuses on continuous improvement and innovation
- Unquestionable integrity, earns unwavering trust, meets commitments, and has direct conversations
- Intellectual curiosity, seeks to understand
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication