Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Houston, TX
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Report to: Director of New Programs
Travel: Occasional travel possible
Arnold Venture’s Programs Team drives strategy development and execution in a wide range of targeted policy areas including Affordable Housing, Higher Education, Opioids, and Contraceptive Choice & Access. As a part of the Programs Team, the New Programs initiative leads AV’s work on Affordable Housing, Career and Technical Education, as well as in newer exploratory areas. The initiative’s mission is to evaluate new areas of potential giving, recommend investments to the Board, and implement and develop approved lines of giving.
We are seeking a New Programs Manager to help our efforts in this important space as we manage our existing portfolio of over $40 million in active investments and growing. This individual will help research, identify, analyze and develop new opportunities across wide-ranging and diverse issues, as well as manage current investments. The role reports to the Director of New Programs and is part of the Programs Team at Arnold Ventures.
- Analyze and synthesize research in new potential areas of giving (policy, politics, investments, innovation) and generate insights to inform strategy
- Conduct research, data analysis and environmental scans to inform project development
- Identify, develop, diligence, and present potential grant opportunities with high-quality written proposals, presentations, issue briefs, and research summaries
- Collaborate with partners to develop opportunities, monitor progress, and track impact
- Manage relationships with grantees, government officials, researchers, foundation officials, practitioners, and other stakeholders
- Manage approved grants including grantee check-ins, updates in Salesforce, and recommending modifications and renewals
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 4-6 years of relevant work experience (inclusive of graduate work) preferably in positions involving policy, consulting, advocacy, research, or project management
- Demonstrated passion for social policy and impact
- Successful track record developing initiatives to drive positive social change
- Strong generalist with the ability to quickly understand new issues, sectors, or policies
- Experience with a wide range of issues, sectors, and policymaking systems and processes, including federal, state, and local policies
- Ability to build trust and confidently collaborate with a diverse network of organizations, experts, and senior leaders
- Excellent written communication skills to convey complex ideas in clear and concise manner
- Strong ability to analyze data and information for strategic insights
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Action-oriented, creative, and entrepreneurial self-starter who assumes personal ownership of work and is capable of effectively prioritizing across multiple projects at the same time
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, and receptive to feedback; asks questions and engages with candor to improve own impact on team performance
- Adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity; thrives and makes progress in dynamic environments
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.