Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Ventures’ Criminal Justice Initiative aims to advance community safety and the values of fairness, effectiveness, and racial justice. We fund innovative work in three domains: Corrections, Pretrial Justice, and Policing.. The Initiative works with teams of experts from inside and outside government and across disciplines to reform the U.S. criminal justice system through research, evidence, testing innovative pilot programs, and policy change.
The Corrections team focuses on prisons, community supervision, fines and fees, and reintegration. Within the prisons portfolio, we support projects to transform prisons through increased transparency, improving conditions, reentry preparation, and safely reducing incarceration. A core component of our community supervision strategy is advancing probation and parole policy that is oriented to promoting success rather than catching failure. For fines and fees, we seek state and local criminal legal systems that do not rely on legal financial obligations as a source of revenue and where monetary sanctions are imposed equitably. Finally, our reintegration work strives to remove barriers to full participation in society for people with criminal records, particularly in the areas of employment and housing.
We are seeking a Manager of Criminal Justice Research to work on the Corrections team to help research, identify, analyze, develop, and manage high-impact projects in the team’s four portfolios. This person will help develop and manage research agendas and research investments that advance policy reform and provide research-related advice to the Corrections team. This position will be located in our DC office and report to the Director of Criminal Justice Research for the Corrections team.
- In collaboration with the Director of Criminal Justice Research, identify, assess, and develop high-impact investment opportunities and recommendations for research funding
- Prepare and present research proposals to the Director of Criminal Justice Research, Criminal Justice leadership team, and Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors
- Manage research investments, track progress and impact, and draw lessons from these investments to inform strategic priorities and the development of future investments
- Provide thought partnership to grantees on research designs and methods, which will include working with grantees and partners to develop research plans, establish performance metrics, troubleshoot and overcome research project obstacles, and monitor progress and impact
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, experts, and new and existing grantees
- Review, critique, and draft summaries of relevant research literature to inform strategic priorities, research agendas, and the development of future investments.
- Communicating and coordinating with internal colleagues to optimize Arnold Ventures impact
- MA/MS required in a relevant field such as criminal justice or criminology, public policy, economics, sociology, political science, psychology, behavioral science, or other social sciences
- 5 years of relevant work experience, preferably experience conducting and/or managing rigorous policy-relevant criminal justice research and evaluation projects with a focus on prisons, community supervision, fines and fees, and/or reintegration
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to summarize research designs and research findings and communicate key takeaways to diverse, nontechnical audiences
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in methods, statistics, and research designs and the use of rigorous research to support criminal legal system reform
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
- We have an established commitment to and passion for racial and social justice.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity.
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback.
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals impacted by the justice system.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.