Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Department: Health Care
Report to: Vice President of Health Care – Payor Reform Team
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Arnold Ventures’ Health Care portfolio aims to develop evidence-based policy to make health care more affordable for governments, businesses, and households. We fund work across four broad issue areas: Low-Value Care, Commercial Sector Prices, Drug Prices, and Complex Care.
We are seeking a Manager to help expand and manage our Low-Value Care portfolio and to inform related policy work. This portfolio addresses a range of issues related to health care spending, including innovative approaches to reduce the provision of low-value care and reform provider payments. In addition, the portfolio includes work aimed at improving the sustainability of the Medicare program. This individual will be responsible for helping identify, analyze, and pursue new, high-leverage philanthropic opportunities, as well as managing current investments.
- Work with the Director and Vice President to develop and refine the strategic direction for the Health Care team’s low-value care portfolio
- Conduct research/analysis to inform strategy and project development
- Analyze and synthesize relevant policy developments in the field
- Identify and evaluate potential grant opportunities, and collaborate with potential grantees to develop proposals
- Actively support the Director on managing and tracking progress of existing grants
- Develop materials for Arnold Ventures’ Board, Executive Vice President and Vice President of Health Care, and other individuals in collaboration with team members
- Contribute to meetings with policymakers, experts, and other stakeholders
- Collaborate with the Communications team to draft materials that elevate relevant research, policy developments, and approaches
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, economics or a related field required
- Advanced degree in public policy, economics or a related field is preferred; equivalent experience will be considered
- 4-6 years of experience in a related field, including part-time work or internships
- Understanding of the health care system and health policy, including knowledge of low-value care and/or provider payment reform; knowledge of Medicare payment policy preferred
- Strong policy analysis and critical thinking skills
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear and concise manner both in writing and verbally
- Action-oriented and entrepreneurial self-starter with an ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects under deadlines
- Flexible and adaptable
- Able to interact confidently with experts in their fields
- Understands what actions to take to help the organization reach its goals; spots trends and asks about future issues that may impact own work
- Responds effectively to unclear situations, seeks to resolve ambiguity and make progress; seeks guidance on how to adapt to changes and responds accordingly
- Actively seeks feedback from a variety of sources; asks clarifying questions to understand and improve own impact on others or on team performance
- Readily includes people and ensures their efforts are recognized; seeks to learn from their success; ensures that people understand exactly why the work is important and meaningful
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.