Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Houston, TX
Terms: Contract role through 2020
Compensation: 20 hours a week at a competitive hourly rate
Report to: Director of Strategic Communications
The National Partnership for Pretrial Justice is a grant-funded community of practitioners whose work combines research, innovative policy development, and advocacy to reform our nation’s bail, prosecution, and public defense systems. National Partnership members share a commitment to protecting individuals’ constitutional rights, improving community safety, and reducing the cost burden on taxpayers who foot the bill for unjust pretrial detention.
The National Partnership for Pretrial Justice community is supported by Arnold Ventures, and we are seeking a communications professional to manage and produce a steady stream of content for the National Partnership website, social media accounts, and newsletter. Our goal is to make the National Partnership the premier resource for people interested in pretrial justice news and policy.
- Generating multimedia content ideas on a monthly basis that amplify the work of National Partnership members; highlight progress in pretrial justice policy around the country; and take up relevant, fresh, timely events and topics in the reform world. This will require becoming well-steeped in the pretrial justice reform world, and conversant with major issues and players.
- Creating and maintaining an editorial calendar for the National Partnership website that is approved by the Arnold Ventures Communications team.
- Researching, writing (or designing/shooting if multimedia), and editing all content for the National Partnership website. We ask for eight new pieces of content per month. This will require working closely with the Arnold Ventures Communications and Pretrial Justice teams, as well as National Partnership members and other system stakeholders.
- Running the National Partnership Twitter account so it features a steady stream of content from the National Partnership website and members’ websites; actively participates in conversations about pretrial justice; and grows in followers.
- Writing, editing, and disseminating a quarterly newsletter to National Partnership members that provides updates on the latest policy wins, news items, and accomplishments of their cohort.
- The ideal candidates will have a communications or journalism background, strong writing and social media skills, and the ability to work on rapidly evolving issues.
- Preference for candidates capable of creating short videos and infographics, and those who are already conversant with criminal justice reform issues.
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in an accurate, efficient, and timely manner
- Extraordinary attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy
- Excellent copywriting and copyediting skills
- Interest in news, policy, and politics
- Proactive and open to embracing new challenges
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Positive, professional, and energetic team-oriented attitude
- Excellent written and oral communication abilities
- Familiarity and proficiency with corporate communication norms
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Please include a link to your online portfolio or work samples with your application.