Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education, and advocacy.
In recent years, Arnold Ventures has piloted impact investments in the areas of criminal justice, drug pricing, and affordable housing. Through these pilots, it has become clear that the time is ripe to launch a new initiative to deepen our impact investing work and leverage capital markets to catalyze innovation and address social problems at scale. We have ambitious goals for this work and would like to initially invest $200 – 400M in new opportunities, both market-rate and concessionary, that enable us to take smart risks on organizations pushing the boundaries of social change. We are excited to bring on board an experienced leader with a strong investment acumen who will help co-create a vision and approach for this work and, ultimately, be empowered to build a portfolio and team to drive impact.
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors, as well as other key members of the executive team, to develop and refine the organization’s impact investment vision and approach
- Identify and lead diligence process for high-leverage impact investment opportunities, informed by both a strong understanding of the market and a robust understanding of the evidence around social impact
- Present investment recommendations for approval to Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors
- Manage investments, track progress and impact, and draw lessons from these to inform strategic priorities and the development of future investments
- Develop and manage relationships with potential portfolio companies, co-funders, and other key stakeholders and experts
- Engage with Arnold Ventures’ issue experts to explore and develop investment opportunities in line with the organization’s broader strategic goals
- Recruit, lead, and manage Arnold Ventures’ impact investing team
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- 15 years of relevant work experience in the investment space
- Deep understanding of impact investing and familiarity with the laws and regulations affecting impact investments at the state and federal levels
- Ability to analyze a wide variety of data including outcomes studies, business plans, research data, financial figures, and market data to make investment recommendations and decisions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate key takeaways to diverse, nontechnical audiences
- Strong leadership, negotiation, and relationship-building skills
The salary range for this role will be $400,000 — $600,000 per year.
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help AV achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of AV’s work culture.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- We can interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals
AV’s values reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the AV team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
AV is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, AV is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.