Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Ventures’ Higher Education initiative aims to advance policies that promote value and quality in higher education, with a particular emphasis on improving outcomes for traditionally underserved students. We work with teams of experts from inside and outside government and across disciplines to strengthen the United States’ higher education system through research, evidence, testing innovative pilot programs, litigation, policy change, and advocacy.
We are seeking a Higher Education Manager to contribute to our efforts in this important space as we manage our existing and growing portfolio of over $30 million in active investments. This individual will help research, identify, analyze, and develop new opportunities within our priorities, as well as manage current investments. The role reports to the Director of Higher Education and is part of the Programs Team in our Washington, D.C. office.
- Develop and maintain expertise on higher education related topics, policies, and best practices
- Identify trends and conduct detailed analysis of federal and state regulations, guidance, and legislation
- Analyze and synthesize research in existing priorities and new potential lines of work in higher education (policy, politics, investments, innovation) and generate insights to inform strategy
- Conduct research, data analysis, and environmental scans to inform project development
- Identify, develop, conduct due diligence on, and present potential grant opportunities with high-quality written proposals, presentations, issue briefs, and research summaries
- Collaborate with partners to develop opportunities, monitor progress, and track impact
- Manage relationships with grantees, government officials, researchers, foundation officials, practitioners, and other stakeholders
- Manage approved grants including grantee check-ins, updates in Salesforce, and recommending modifications and renewals
- Occasional travel is expected
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 4-6 years of relevant work experience (inclusive of graduate work) preferably in positions involving policy, consulting, advocacy, research, or project management
- Strong ability to analyze policy, research, and related data and information for strategic insights
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Action-oriented, creative, and entrepreneurial self-starter who assumes personal ownership of work and is capable of effectively prioritizing across multiple projects at the same time
- Adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity; thrives and makes progress in dynamic environments
- Working knowledge of domestic higher education policy, policy landscape, and research
- Ability to build trust and collaborate with a diverse network of organizations, experts, and senior leaders
- Excellent written communication skills that convey complex ideas in clear and concise manner
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, and receptive to feedback; asks questions and engages with candor to improve own impact on team performance
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.