Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Washington, D.C., or Houston, TX
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Department: Evidence-Based Policy
Report to: Vice President of Evidence-Based Policy
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Arnold Ventures’ Evidence-Based Policy team seeks to increase the effectiveness of social spending through the use of rigorous evidence about “what works.” Our efforts focus specifically on (i) funding rigorous evaluations — mainly randomized controlled trials (RCTs) — to build the body of social programs with credible evidence of sizable effects on important outcomes such as educational achievement, workforce earnings, criminal arrests, substance abuse, and hospitalizations; (ii) systematically monitoring the program evaluation literature and communicating important findings to the policy and research community; and (iii) providing technical assistance to policy officials aimed at advancing evidence-based reforms in government spending initiatives, so as to use evidence to improve people’s lives on a large scale.
The Evidence-Based Policy Manager will (i) help solicit, review, develop, and manage grants to fund rigorous program evaluations; (ii) review study reports and publications to assess whether they produced valid evidence regarding program effectiveness; and (iii) gain practical, hands-on experience in funding and reviewing research and using the results to inform the policy process.
- Solicit and review grant proposals for rigorous program evaluations, and present them for funding consideration to foundation colleagues and Board members, as part of the Evidence-Based Policy team’s funding initiatives (e.g., RCT Opportunity, Moving the Needle)
- Manage approved research grants, which will include working with grantees to develop pre-analysis plans and reviewing reports to monitor progress and ensure adherence to rigorous standards of quality and transparency
- Review, critique, and draft summaries of newly published RCTs in support of the Evidence-Based Policy team’s ongoing review of the social policy research literature
- Actively contribute to team meetings regarding projects, suggesting ideas, and brainstorming
- Actively contribute to educational meetings with policy officials aimed at incorporating evidence-based reforms into government spending initiatives, including provisions to advance rigorous evaluations and the wider use of research-proven programs and practices
- Collaborate with other Arnold Ventures teams in areas of joint activity
- Undergraduate degree required; advanced degree(s) strongly preferred in a relevant field such as public policy, economics, education, or public health
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience strongly preferred
- Ability to read an impact evaluation and assess whether it constitutes credible evidence of program effectiveness
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in the use of rigorous evidence to address social challenges
- Experience with reviewing and/or conducting program evaluations, particularly RCTs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and concise manner and to communicate with both researchers and policymakers
- Exceptional organization skills and ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects with careful attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Flexible and adaptable
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter and writing sample in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.