Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Ventures’ Evidence-Based Policy initiative seeks to increase the effectiveness of social spending through the use of rigorous evidence about “what works.” Our efforts focus specifically on (i) funding rigorous research aimed at increasing the number of social programs with credible evidence of sizable effects on education, earnings, violence prevention, and other important outcomes; and (ii) advancing the widespread adoption of such programs to improve people’s lives on a large scale.
Based in Arnold Ventures’ Houston, Texas office and reporting to the Director of Evidence-Based Policy, the Evidence-Based Policy Analyst will (i) provide analytical and operational support to the Evidence-Based Policy team; (ii) gain practical, hands-on experience in funding and reviewing rigorous program evaluations and using the results to inform public policy; and (iii) work closely with senior team members on diverse substantive projects.
- Provide administrative, analytical, and operational support for the Evidence-Based Policy team’s research funding initiatives (e.g., our Randomized Controlled Trials (RCT) Opportunity Request for Proposals) and internal evidence review processes
- Review grantee reports and published studies presenting results from randomized controlled trials to assess study quality and interpret findings
- Communicate regularly with current and prospective grantees regarding upcoming deadlines and grant requirements
- Manage the Evidence-Based Policy Team’s websites (Straight Talk on Evidence & Social Programs that Work) and Twitter account and assist Evidence-Based Policy and Communications team colleagues with the development of content
- Actively contribute to team meetings regarding projects, suggesting new internal initiatives and brainstorming areas for improvement
- Collaborate with other Arnold Ventures teams in areas of joint activity
- Provide other administrative and operational support to the team as needed including scheduling, editing, financial reconciliation, and managing team processes
- One to two years of relevant work experience, including part-time roles, internships, or equivalent experience; preference in economics, public policy, or a related field with an emphasis on quantitative research methods
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Excellent listening and communication skills, including the ability to absorb, analyze, and convey complex ideas in a clear and concise manner verbally and in writing
- Strong critical thinking and policy analysis skills
- Strong commitment to using rigorous evidence to improve public policy
- Exceptional organizational skills and experience simultaneously working on and completing multiple projects
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- Thorough and attentive to detail in all tasks
- Comfortable engaging with experts and people with diverse experiences and perspectives
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, and presentation tools; preference for experience with Salesforce, MailChimp, WordPress and Google Drive
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.