Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. Our core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice.
Position: Director of Health Policy Advocacy
Salary: Competitive salary based on qualifications plus benefits
Office: Washington, D.C.
Arnold Ventures' Policy and Advocacy team works to strengthen partnerships with federal, state, and local governments and helps programmatic teams bring the findings of new research into the policy-making process. The Policy and Advocacy team is responsible for developing and executing advocacy campaigns around the Foundation’s policy priorities; building, resourcing, and maintaining strategic alliances with engaged and influential state and national advocacy partners and stakeholders; and managing relationships with key federal, state, and local policymaking officials. LJAF seeks a Director to help build its advocacy capacity and advance the Foundation’s policy priorities on priority health care issues. LJAF’s health advocacy work centers on lowering health care spending while maintaining access to needed, high-quality care and supporting the continued reform of the health care delivery system. Areas of particular interest are improving the access and affordability of drugs, hospital services, and physician services; eliminating low-value care; managing complex patients; and promoting access to public health, such as reproductive health, planning and choice.
- Work with LJAF’s Vice President for Policy and Advocacy, other key members of the advocacy team, and LJAF’s program policy teams to develop and refine the Foundation’s advocacy investment and partnership strategies
- Work with a cross-functional team to develop and deploy federal and state advocacy strategies
- Develop and manage grants to implementing partners, and work with grantees to develop and implement strategic advocacy plans, establish performance metrics, and monitor performance
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, coalition partners, experts, and policymakers.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Abilities:
- Proven ability to craft and execute national-level, high-impact advocacy campaign strategies, with preference given to health issue advocacy campaign experience;
- Experience building and managing coalitions and strategic relationships with diverse groups and interests, with preference given to experience with health policy or advocacy related organizations
- Ability to develop, engage, and leverage a strong network of individual and organizational advocates
- Demonstrated skill with federal or state policymaking systems and processes
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Creativity and rigor in solving complex problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Capacity to effectively prioritize projects, work simultaneously on multiple ventures, and meet deadlines
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Collaborative and team oriented, yet also a self-starter able work independently to drive change
- Flexible and adaptable
- Intellectually curious—a problem solver who enjoys working with colleagues to find solutions to challenging problems.
Required Experience and Education:
- Advanced degree(s) in public policy or a related field
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience
- Successful track record in policy advocacy and lobbying; working in federal or state legislative offices on public policy issues preferred.
If you are interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line of the email that the application is for the position of Director of Health Policy Advocacy. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.