Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Department: Health Care
Report to: Vice President of Health Care – Payor Reform Team
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Arnold Ventures’ Health Care portfolio aims to develop evidence-based policy to make health care more affordable for governments, businesses, and households. We fund work across four broad issue areas: Low-Value Care, Commercial Sector Prices, Drug Prices, and Complex Care.
We are seeking a Director to help expand and manage our Low-Value Care portfolio and to inform related policy work. This portfolio addresses a range of issues related to health care spending, including innovative approaches to reduce the provision of low-value care and reform provider payments. In addition, the portfolio includes work aimed at improving the sustainability of the Medicare program. This individual will be responsible for helping identify, analyze, and pursue new, high-leverage philanthropic opportunities, as well as managing current investments.
- Work with the Vice President to develop and refine the strategic direction for the Health Care team’s low-value care portfolio
- Conduct research/analysis to inform strategy and project development
- Analyze relevant policy developments in the field and formulate policy recommendations
- Identify potential grantees and projects and assess project alignment with the strategic goals of the low-value care portfolio
- Oversee investments and partnerships, and draw lessons from them to inform strategy and future projects
- Identify, develop, and present charitable investment/grant recommendations to Arnold Ventures’ Board
- Develop and manage relationships with grantees, key stakeholders, and experts
- Collaborate with the Vice President and Communications team on the communications strategy and on materials that elevate relevant research, policy developments, and approaches
- Advanced degree in public policy or a related field is preferred; equivalent experience will be considered
- 7-10 years of relevant work experience, preferably including experience with federal or state policy
- Expertise on relevant health care issues, including low-value care, Medicare payment policy, and value-based payment approaches
- Strong policy analysis and research skills; ability to understand technical and theoretical concepts
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear and concise manner both in writing and verbally
- Strategic thinker with an ability to get up to speed on new issues quickly
- Effective leadership and management skills, including prioritizing projects, simultaneously managing multiple projects under deadlines, and developing and supporting colleagues
- Creates a sense of urgency and confidence, and helps others see the benefit of taking initiative
- Sees and seizes possible opportunities in unknown situations; steers others skillfully with a stabilizing presence and clear targeted coaching in order to make significant progress
- Seeks balanced feedback from others and is receptive to both positive and constructive views; applies insights from feedback
- Flexible and adaptable
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.