Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: New York or Washington, D.C.
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Department: Criminal Justice
Report to: Vice President of Criminal Justice – Policing Team
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Arnold Ventures’ Criminal Justice initiative aims to advance community safety and the values of fairness, effectiveness, and racial justice. We fund innovative work in five domains: Policing, Pretrial Justice, Community Supervision, Prisons, and Reintegration. The Initiative works with teams of experts from inside and outside government and across disciplines to address injustices in the U.S. criminal legal system through research-informed policy change.
The Policing team works to advance policy and research with the aim that police act in service to the public by promoting community safety with reverence for life and dignity and upholding constitutional and human rights of all persons regardless of race, ethnicity, identity, or economic status.
We are seeking a Director of Criminal Justice for the Policing team to expand and lead our police accountability portfolio. This portfolio focuses on the development and execution of strategies that aim to improve accountability and transparency in policing and removing policies and practices that have been disproportionately harmful to Black, Brown and Indigenous communities. This individual will be responsible for identifying, analyzing, and pursuing new, high-leverage philanthropic opportunities in these areas and managing current investments, partnerships, and strategies. The Director will report to the Vice President of Criminal Justice overseeing the policing portfolio, which includes other strategies. (Find more information about our policing portfolio here.)
- Drive strategy development, evolution and execution, in partnership with the Vice President of Criminal Justice, Executive Vice President of Criminal Justice, and Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors
- Conduct research and analysis to inform strategy and project development; analyze and synthesize research and policy developments in the field and their impact on portfolio priorities; operationalize regulatory and legislative frameworks in the team’s research and policy development; identify and engage key policymakers and provide technical assistance
- Develop and manage relationships with new and existing grantees, key stakeholders, and experts; deepen the grantee pipeline; build network to inform strategy
- Identify, develop, and present charitable investment/grant recommendations to Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors; ensure alignment between grantmaking and strategic goals
- Oversee charitable investments/grants and partnerships, and draw lessons from them to inform strategy and future projects
- Collaborate with other Arnold Ventures teams, such as Advocacy and Communications, to ensure the policing team policy goals are advanced in states and nationally
- Collaborate with other Arnold Ventures initiatives to explore and develop cross-cutting opportunities
- Advanced degree(s) in public policy, economics, law, criminology, or other related fields; or equivalent experience
- 7-10 years relevant work experience, with a strong track record driving a vision within a complex and multi-faceted program, as well as in strategic policy development. The ideal candidate will have deep experience and demonstrated expertise in the development and/or implementation of federal, state, or local police accountability- or reform-related policy or initiatives.
- A deep understanding of policing and criminal legal system policy
- Expertise on relevant policing issues, including use of force, accountability systems, racial disparities, and procedural justice
- Strategic thinker with a demonstrated ability to make an impact; can rapidly get up to speed on new issues and confidently develop recommendations on a wide range of topics
- Strong policy analysis and research skills with a deep understanding of relevant theory and concepts
- Proven commitment to and passion for racial equity, social justice and impact
- Successful track record of developing and executing strategies to drive change
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to thrive in a variety of situations
- Able to develop, engage, and collaborate with a strong, diverse network of organizations and experts
- Action-oriented, creative, and entrepreneurial self-starter who assumes personal ownership of work and is capable of effectively prioritizing and working simultaneously on multiple projects
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, and receptive to feedback
- Ability to build trust, communicate effectively, and collaborate with senior leadership
- Effective leadership and management skills, including prioritizing projects, simultaneously managing multiple projects under deadlines, and developing and supporting colleagues
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.