Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
The Director, Digital Strategy is responsible for creating and executing successful digital strategies that enhance AV’s reputation, brand, public policy, and advocacy goals and grow a more engaged follower base. Based in our Washington, D.C. office and reporting to the Vice President, Communications, the Director works closely with leaders across the organization to align on priorities for online communications and manage the organizations’ presence across all digital channels.
Operating in a fast-paced environment, this individual works well under pressure and is comfortable engaging and presenting at the executive level. With a deep understanding of digital audiences, channels, and engagement strategies, the Director creates and executes against a long-term vision, goals and roadmap for AV’s digital channels, developing engaging content and optimizing along the way. The Director will track the latest digital trends and provide strategic insights to the organization.
A strong team player, this individual collaborates across different teams to develop plans, execute successful campaigns, and advise on how to build engaging content that educates and engages key stakeholders. The individual must have the ability to adapt to different work styles, juggle competing priorities, be receptive to feedback and think clearly under pressure.
- Oversee and manage AV’s digital presence including all social channels, website content and design, user experience and search engine optimization.
- Create and execute effective paid and earned digital media strategies to educate and engage targeted stakeholders.
- Execute and manage multiple campaigns across multiple priorities, channels, consultants, and partners.
- Effectively manage a digital engagement budget to achieve the best results.
- Work in partnership with AV’s operations team to manage digital threats and risks.
- Analyze and make recommendations about the use of new technologies, channels, and digital strategies to achieve reputation, brand, public policy, and advocacy goals.
- Develop key performance metrics for digital and social and regularly report to leadership and colleagues on progress. Evaluate measurement to identify opportunities for growth.
- Grow an engaged follower base while identifying and cultivating relationships with other influencers, organizations, and entities in the digital space.
- Develop and execute strategies to guide digital media engagement of AV employees and leaders.
- Identify and engage in opportunities for cross-promotion and partnerships to amplify our messaging.
- Collaborate with Communications team colleagues, programmatic teams, external consultants, and a network of freelance designers and videographers to develop content and execute campaigns.
- Identify opportunities for leveraging digital communications tools and content in response to trends, current events, and the daily news cycle.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, media, marketing, political science, public policy, or a related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience as a digital communications professional, social media manager, journalist, or in a related communications, public affairs or public relations role.
- Successful track record of developing and executing successful digital media strategies.
- Strong experience in educating, engaging, and mobilizing key stakeholders on public policy and advocacy issues, through both paid and organic approaches.
- Strong experience in building a consistent, strong online presence across digital media channels.
- Strong ability to be a valued consultant and coach to internal leaders.
- Proven ability to analyze and make recommendations about new digital engagement technologies.
- Proven ability to adeptly manage a digital management function, including consultants, budget, and metrics.
- Proven ability to build a positive and consistent user experience across multiple digital media channels, using the latest innovations in visual and text-based content.
- Strong ability to collaborate across multiple teams.
- Experience using social media management tools such as Sprout, Hootsuite, or Buzzsumo
- Knowledge of graphic design, photography, and web development.
- Experience working with HTML/CSS or content management systems such as Wordpress and Craft.
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals
Arnold Ventures’ values reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.