Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Salary: Competitive salary based on qualifications plus benefits
Report to: Advocacy Chief of Staff
Travel: Minimal travel expected
Arnold Ventures’ Advocacy team works to strengthen the foundation’s partnerships with federal, state, and local governments and helps the foundation’s programmatic teams bring the findings of new research into the policy-making process. The Advocacy team is responsible for developing and executing advocacy campaigns on the organization’s policy priorities; building, resourcing, and maintaining strategic alliances with engaged and influential state and national partners and stakeholders; and managing relationships with key state and federal policymaking officials.
- Manage and execute day-to-day operations for the advocacy team, including internal and external reporting; creating board materials and strategy documents; and agenda-setting for team leadership
- Collaborate on project execution with funded advocacy campaigns and grantee partners on the foundation’s policy priorities; monitor and track strategic alliances with engaged and influential state and national partners and stakeholders
- Assist team leadership in managing relationships with key federal, state, and local policymaking officials through scheduling, agenda-setting and information-sharing
- Provide research support to the advocacy team; track, analyze, and report on legislative activity
- Work collaboratively with other foundation teams
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years of experience is preferred, including part-time work or internships.
- Exceptional program management and organizational skills to keep projects and tasks on track
- Demonstrated ability to research and synthesize information from the news media and public record filings
- Compose, fact-check, and/or edit presentation slides and other written materials
- Preferred experience with state or federal legislative bill tracking and analysis
- Capacity to effectively prioritize projects, work simultaneously on multiple ventures, and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills, including strong writing and interpersonal skills. Collaborative and team oriented, yet also a self-starter able work independently
- Creativity and rigor in solving complex problems
- Flexible and adaptable
- Intellectually curious — a problem solver who enjoys working with colleagues to find solutions to challenging problems
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.