Arnold Ventures is a philanthropic organization whose core objective is to maximize opportunities and minimize injustices for all people.
Arnold Ventures focuses on correcting system failures through evidence-based solutions. Viewing philanthropy as an engine of innovation, Arnold Ventures works to identify problems, rigorously research them, and search for answers. Once an idea is tested, validated, and proven efficacious, Arnold Ventures funds policy development and technical assistance to create change that outlasts the funding.
Since its inception, the philanthropy has awarded over $1 billion in areas including criminal justice, K-12 education, healthcare, evidence-based policymaking, research integrity, sustainable public finance, as well as several other exploratory initiatives.
Additional information and news articles:
- Laura and John Arnold Get a Head Start on Philanthropy
- John Arnold Made a Fortune at Enron. Now He’s Declared War on Bad Science
- Billionaire Philanthropist John Arnold Goes After Drug Prices
About the Positions
Arnold Ventures is seeking to add a dynamic, senior-level team member to lead our public health initiative. The initiative currently includes investments to address the opioid crisis, increase contraceptive choice and access, and reduce sugar consumption. The new Public Health VP will be responsible for leading a small team to build out and implement a high-impact philanthropic investment strategy for these portfolios. The VP will also have the opportunity to identify and pursue new public health investment opportunities. Attractive candidates will have significant experience working in public health, and must be able to think creatively, have a proven record of producing meaningful reforms, and have experience managing small teams. The position will report to the Executive Vice President of Results-Driven Government.
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures' Board of Directors and Executive Vice President of Results-Driven Government to develop and execute our public health investment strategy
- Lead a small, high-functioning team
- Present charitable investment recommendations to Arnold Ventures' Board of Directors
- Manage charitable investments, which will include working with grantees to develop strategic plans, establish success metrics, and monitor performance
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, experts, and grantees
- Collaborate with other Arnold Ventures teams to explore and develop cross-initiative investment opportunities
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Proven ability to craft and execute high-impact reform strategies
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strategic, entrepreneurial approach to developing ideas and designing solutions
- Creativity and rigor in finding answers to complex problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including experience leading executive-level discussions
- Capacity to effectively prioritize projects, work simultaneously on multiple ventures, and meet deadlines
- Motivated by Arnold Ventures' mission, and passion for creating lasting, positive social change
- Makes things happen, does not wait for an invitation, assumes personal ownership
- Collaborative, solicits and values multiple perspectives, shares knowledge, and partners with stakeholders to make change
- Able to deal with ambiguity and thrive in a rapidly evolving environment
- Flexible and agile, responsive to feedback, open to changing direction, and focuses on continuous improvement and innovation
- Unquestionable integrity, earns unwavering trust, meets commitments, and values direct, candid conversations
- Intellectual curiosity
Required Experience and Education:
- Advanced degree(s) in economics, public policy, or a related field
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience
- Senior-level experience working in government, consulting, or think tanks
- Significant experience leading and managing a team
- Houston, TX
If you are interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to Andrew Zalman with Search Light Solutions, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line of the email that the application is for the position of Arnold Ventures Vice President of Public Health. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.