Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Salary: Competitive salary based on qualifications plus benefits
Department: Public Finance
Report to: Executive Vice President of Public Finance
Travel: Occasional travel expected
The Arnold Ventures Public Finance team seeks to identify and pursue sustainable fiscal policy on a broad scale. This includes policies that will provide an adequate, stable revenue base and that don’t hinder growth, higher wages, etc. — and policies that will provide an adequate safety net without burdening future generations with debt. The Public Finance team will work toward developing an evidence-based public finance agenda that strategically informs stakeholders and policymakers. This will include efforts across items related to tax, fiscal, and budget policy, and developing evidence and analysis that supports the design of policies that become law.
Arnold Ventures seeks to add a dynamic, senior-level team member that will build public finance capacity in the area of federal tax policy and advance the organization’s tax policy priorities by identifying opportunities, making strategic investments, and providing expert issue area guidance to key stakeholders in order to advance policy. The Vice President of Public Finance, Tax Policy will serve as an advisor and counsel to the Executive Vice President of Public Finance, as well as research, analyze, develop, and manage high-impact projects in the field of federal tax policy.
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures’ Executive Vice President of Public Finance and other key members of the Public Finance team to develop and refine the organization’s investment and partnership strategies to advance policy priorities
- Lead a lean, nimble, and high-functioning team to deploy portfolio strategies
- Execute and manage charitable investments approved by the Arnold Ventures Board of Directors, which will include working with grantees to develop research and project-specific initiatives, establishing performance metrics, and monitoring performance
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, experts, new and existing grantees, and policymakers
- Engage in planning with Arnold Ventures team members to explore and develop cross-initiative charitable investment opportunities
- Ensure the successful implementation and integration of communications strategies and coalition activities within our portfolio goals and investments
- At least 15 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred in a relevant field such as law, accounting, public policy, or economics
- Deep understanding of tax law/tax accounting, economics, and public finance
- Experience supporting policy reform efforts, working in legislative and executive branch offices on public policy issues, particularly at the state or federal level
- Successful track record of using research to drive change and ability to translate complex research findings into key takeaways for diverse audiences
- Independent and creative thinker who uses a strategic, entrepreneurial approach to developing policy solutions
- Strong leadership and management skills, and develops a highly motivating atmosphere in which team members feel energized, engaged, and enthusiastic about achieving goals
- Proven commitment to and passion for public finance reform and tax reform
- Deep strategic thinker with demonstrated ability to make an impact quickly; rapidly gets up to speed on new issues and develops recommendations on a wide range of topics
- Innovative and able to develop effective solutions that look beyond obvious answers
- Adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- Action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, and receptive to feedback
- Ability to develop, engage, and collaborate with internal and external partners
- High degree of integrity, ability to build trust and communicate effectively
- Effective leadership and management skills, including an ability to provide professional development support for colleagues
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference:
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.