Arnold Ventures is a philanthropic organization whose core objective is to maximize opportunities and minimize injustices for all people.
Arnold Ventures focuses on correcting system failures through evidence-based solutions. Viewing philanthropy as an engine of innovation, Arnold Ventures works to identify problems, rigorously research them, and search for answers. Once an idea is tested, validated, and proven efficacious, Arnold Ventures funds policy development and technical assistance to create change that outlasts the funding.
Since its inception, the philanthropy has awarded over $1 billion in areas including criminal justice, K-12 education, healthcare, evidence-based policymaking, research integrity, sustainable public finance, as well as several other exploratory initiatives.
Additional information and news articles:
- Laura and John Arnold Get a Head Start on Philanthropy
- John Arnold Made a Fortune at Enron. Now He’s Declared War on Bad Science.
- Billionaire Philanthropist John Arnold Goes After Drug Prices
About the Position
Arnold Ventures is seeking to add a dynamic senior-level team member to lead our public finance initiative, which aims to make government fiscal practices more efficient, transparent, sustainable, and fair. The initiative currently includes investments in retirement policy, tax policy, and budgeting. The new Vice President will be responsible for leading a team to build out and implement high-impact philanthropic investment strategies for these portfolios. The Vice President will also have the opportunity to identify and pursue new public finance investment opportunities. Potential investment opportunities could include but are not limited to:
- Taxation and Revenue: Tax design efficiency, tax credits, tax loopholes/compliance, Pigovian taxes/strategic taxation
- Budgeting and Spending: Budget processes, implementation processes (e.g., contracting, performance mgmt.)
- Other Issues: Pensions/retirement security, social safety net programs, fiscal policy/stimulus, capital finance/bonds, etc.
In addition, the VP of Sustainable Public Finance will partner closely with our issue-focused teams to develop effective models for financing key systems (e.g., criminal justice system, higher education system).
Attractive candidates will have significant experience working in public finance and must be able to think creatively, have a proven record of producing meaningful reforms, and have experience managing teams. The position will be located in our Houston office and will report to the President and Chief Executive Officer.
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures' Board of Directors to develop and execute our public finance investment strategy
- Build and lead a high-functioning team
- Present public finance investment recommendations to Arnold Ventures' Board of Directors
- Manage impact investments, which will include working with grantees to develop strategic plans, establish success metrics, and monitor performance
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, experts, and grantees
- Collaborate with other Arnold Ventures teams to explore and develop cross-initiative investment opportunities
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Proven ability to craft and execute high-impact reform strategies
- Strategic, creative, and solutions-oriented
- Significant experience building and leading a highly effective team
- Ability to manage and motivate employees through effective leadership, mentoring, communications, development, facilitation, and evaluation
- High level of ethics and commitment to the philanthropy's mission, vision, strategy, and values
- Absolute trust, integrity, and discretion
- Creativity and rigor in finding answers to complex problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including experience leading executive-level discussions
- Capacity to effectively prioritize projects, work simultaneously on multiple ventures, and meet deadlines
- Collaborative, solicits and values multiple perspectives, shares knowledge, and partners with stakeholders to make change
- Able to deal with ambiguity and thrive in a rapidly evolving environment
- Flexible and agile, responsive to feedback, open to changing direction, and focuses on continuous improvement and innovation
Required Experience and Education:
- Advanced degree(s) in economics, public policy, or a related field
- At least 15 years of relevant work experience
- Senior-level experience working in government, consulting, or think tanks
- Significant experience leading and managing a team
- Houston, TX
If you are interested in this position, please send a resume and cover letter to Yasmin Kazzaz, Chief Administrative Officer, at email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line of the email that the application is for the position of Vice President of Sustainable Public Finance. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.