Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Washington, D.C. or New York, N.Y.
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Department: Criminal Justice
Reports to: Executive Vice President of Criminal Justice
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Arnold Ventures’ Criminal Justice Initiative strives to advance community safety and the values of fairness, effectiveness, and racial justice. Our team looks at interactions with the justice system from start to finish — Policing, Pretrial Justice, Community Supervision, Prisons, and Reintegration — and engages with experts and those directly affected to explore new policies and practices.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial, innovative, bold executive to lead our policing portfolio. The Vice President of Criminal Justice will be responsible for further developing Arnold Ventures' policing strategy; identifying new, high-leverage philanthropic opportunities to advance evidence, policy, and practice; and managing current investments within the policing portfolio, which focuses primarily on violence reduction and alternatives to arrest. The Vice President of Criminal Justice will play a key role in defining and implementing Arnold Ventures' policing strategic plan for philanthropic investment and will report directly to the Executive Vice President of Criminal Justice.
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures' Board of Directors and Executive Vice President of Criminal Justice to lead our policing strategy
- Recruit, lead and manage Arnold Ventures' policing team within the Criminal Justice Initiative
- Identify, research, and evaluate new, high-leverage philanthropic opportunities to transform American policing by advancing police effectiveness and building police-community trust
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures' Communications and Advocacy staff to support the development and implementation of strategic goals
- Present and make investment/grant recommendations to Arnold Ventures' Board
- Execute and manage investments approved by Arnold Ventures' Board
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, such as national policing organizations, universities, police practitioners, other funders, experts, and new and existing grantees
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures staff to explore and develop cross-initiative investment opportunities
- Provide strategic direction and support to the entire Criminal Justice Initiative as part of a leadership team, along with the Executive Vice President, Vice Presidents overseeing the pretrial justice and corrections portfolios, and Chief of Staff
- Advanced degree(s) in public policy, criminal justice, law, or a related field.
- Senior-level and practical experience working in the U.S. criminal justice system
- Recognized expertise in the policing field
- At least fifteen (15) years of relevant work experience
- Proven ability to think transformationally about criminal justice and to design innovative strategies for positive and sustainable reforms
- Effective leadership and management skills
- Strategic, entrepreneurial approach to developing ideas and designing solutions
- Ability to bring disparate constituents together and build consensus
- Builds and maintains strategic relationships with key stakeholders
- Creativity and rigor in finding answers to complex problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to understand technical and theoretical concepts
- Capacity to effectively prioritize projects, work simultaneously on multiple ventures, and meet deadlines
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
If interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to Yasmin Kazzaz, Chief Administrative Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line of the email that the application is for the Vice President of Criminal Justice position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.