Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Contraception is a vital tool for health, economic opportunity, freedom, and justice – which is why broad, bipartisan majorities of Americans support robust access to contraception. However, the reality of access to contraception falls far short. Today, 21 million people require public support to access and afford contraceptive care, while 19 million low-income women live in “contraceptive deserts” where there is an insufficient supply of providers offering access to a full range of contraceptive methods.
Arnold Ventures works to close these gaps by researching, developing, and advocating on a nonpartisan and evidence-based basis for policies that ensure that everyone in this country can access and afford the method of contraception that is right for them. We focus on policies that address practical barriers that impede access – for example, by integrating more high-quality family planning support into primary care, and supporting innovative approaches that make access easier such as over-the-counter oral contraception, pharmacist-prescribed birth control, and telemedicine. We also work to strengthen policies that make contraception affordable – such as expanding and strengthening coverage for family planning programs, and supporting funding for essential safety net programs like Title X.
To lead this work, we seek a dynamic, senior-level team member to execute this critical body of work. The VP will report to the Executive Vice President of Programs and will be based in Arnold Ventures’ Houston office. The VP will develop and execute on strategies; lead, expand, and manage this growing portfolio of charitable investments; and partner with a wide range of grantees, experts, and AV colleagues to advance transformative system reforms.
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors, as well as other key members of the executive team, to develop and refine the organization’s investment thesis and related strategy for driving positive outcomes
- Develop and present strategic and charitable investment recommendations to the Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors; create presentation materials, memos and background briefs, and talking points for key meetings, including meetings with the Board
- Develop, refine, and drive the strategic direction for the Contraceptive Choice and Access (CCA) portfolio, in close partnership with the Executive Vice President of Programs; conduct research and analysis to inform strategy; develop project and policy recommendations; and identify, build, and manage relationships with grantees, key stakeholders, and experts
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other Arnold Ventures teams, including, but not limited to, the Advocacy, Communications, and External Affairs team, the Evidence and Evaluation team, and others to elevate relevant research, policy developments, and approaches
- Ensure the successful implementation and integration of communications and advocacy strategies and activities within our CCA portfolio goals and investments
- Lead a small, high-functioning team to execute on strategic priorities; manage charitable investments, consulting relationships, and other potential partnerships; and facilitate effective and efficient day-to-day operations
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a relevant field such as public policy, health policy, or economics
- 10 – 15 years of relevant work experience, preferably including experience with federal or state policy on issues related to health care broadly and/or reproductive health care in particular
- Knowledge of and deep understanding of federal or state policy issues related to health care affordability and access, and issues related to autonomy and equity in reproductive health
- Successful track record of using rigorous evidence to support policy reform
- Strong leadership, people management, and relationship-building skills
- Exceptional strategy development, project management, and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate key takeaways to diverse, nontechnical audiences
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals impacted by the justice system
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.