People and Culture Manager – Payroll, Benefits, and Compliance
Houston, TX Posted: 03.27.2023
Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Ventures’ People and Culture team is responsible for harnessing the energy and expertise of the organization’s over 100 employees as they seek to solve some of the nation’s most intractable problems. The People and Culture team leads the organization’s efforts to hire and invest in the brightest minds, develop and implement strategies to engage and empower employees, strengthen and activate the organization’s operational power, and fuel Arnold Ventures’ values and principles in pursuit of sustainable policy change steeped in research and evidence.
The People and Culture Manager – Payroll, Benefits, and Compliance, will be based in the organization’s Houston, Texas office, reporting into and collaborating with the Chief People and Culture Officer to deliver competitive benefits programs that attract and retain talent; oversee all payroll and benefits-related functions; ensure payroll functions and benefits plans are compliant with all federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and reporting requirements; maintain the organization’s HRIS systems and personnel files; and supervise and partner with the Payroll and Benefits Specialist.
- Research and recommend new approaches, policies, procedures, and systems to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the People and Culture team
- Research, analyze, and present benefits trends and developments
- Ensure payroll, benefits plans, and organization-wide policies and procedures are in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and reporting requirements
- Manage annual open enrollment process, including plan renewal, implementation of new benefits programs, communications, HRIS testing and administration, and vendor management
- Administer various employee benefits programs, including group health and welfare, dental, vision, accident and disability, life insurance, 401(k), transportation, COBRA, and wellness
- Manage the audit of the 401(k) plan on an annual basis for competitive pricing, industry practice standards, and 5500 filing
- Oversee leave and paid time off policies and procedures and ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and reporting requirements
- Oversee review and response to unemployment claims
- Compile and maintain human resources metrics and other relevant data, including for workers’ compensation and disability insurance audits
- Complete second level review of payroll
- Supervise and partner with the Payroll and Benefits Specialist
- 7 – 10 years of experience in the field of human resources, with payroll, benefits, and compliance experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or a related field
- Strong interpersonal skills and discretion to manage sensitive and confidential matters
- Exceptional analytical, communication, project management, and organizational skills
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals impacted by the justice system
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.