Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Ventures’ Public Finance team seeks to advance tax and budget policies that will promote fiscal stability for governments — with a focus on the federal government — and economic opportunity, mobility, and security for all. Our investments seek to fund and support critical research, on-the-ground policy efforts, and technical assistance.
We are seeking a Manager of Public Finance to contribute to our efforts in this important space as we manage our growing portfolio of investments. This individual will help research, identify, analyze and develop new opportunities within our priorities, support and inform strategy development and stakeholder engagement, and monitor research and evidence in the field. This position will be located in our D.C. office and report to the Chief of Staff for the Public Finance team.
- Develop and maintain expertise on public finance related topics, policies, and best practices
- Identify trends and conduct detailed analysis of federal and state policy proposals
- Synthesize research in existing priority areas, and generate insights to inform development of new strategic priorities as the Public Finance team grows.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Staff and Execute Vice President of Public Finance, identify, develop, conduct due diligence, and present on potential grant opportunities with high-quality written proposals, presentations, issue briefs, and research summaries to the Public Finance team and to Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors
- Manage relationships with grantees, government officials, researchers, foundation officials, practitioners, and other stakeholders
- Manage investments, track progress and impact, and draw lessons from these investments to inform strategic priorities and the development of future investments
- BA/BS required in a relevant field such as economics, finance, statistics, political science, or other social sciences
- 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience (inclusive of graduate work) in positions involving policy, consulting, advocacy, research, or project management
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in research and legislative developments related to tax, budget, and regulatory policy
- Strong ability to analyze policy, research, and related data and information for strategic insights
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to summarize policy and research findings and communicate key takeaways to diverse, nontechnical audiences
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Here are some examples of our core values and work culture in action.
- We have a proven commitment to and passion for racial and social justice.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity.
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback.
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external partners, peers, and stakeholders.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.