Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Washington, D.C. or New York, NY
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Department: Criminal Justice
Report to: Vice President of Criminal Justice Research
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Arnold Ventures’ Criminal Justice Initiative aims to advance community safety and the values of fairness, effectiveness, and racial justice. We fund innovative work in five domains: Policing, Pretrial Justice, Community Supervision, Prisons, and Reintegration. The Initiative works with teams of experts from inside and outside government and across disciplines to reform the U.S. criminal justice system through research, evidence, testing innovative pilot programs, and policy change.
We are seeking a Manager of Criminal Justice Research to work across the Criminal Justice team to help research, identify, analyze, develop, and manage high-impact projects in the field of criminal justice. This person will help develop and manage research agendas and research investments that advance policy reform and provide research-related advice to the Criminal Justice team. The Manager of Criminal Justice Research will report directly to the Vice President of Criminal Justice Research and work closely with the research directors and managers across the Criminal Justice team.
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Criminal Justice Research, identify, assess, and develop high-impact investment opportunities and recommendations for research funding that advance community safety and the values of fairness, effectiveness, and racial justice
- Present research agendas and proposals to the Vice President of Criminal Justice Research, Criminal Justice leadership team, and Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors
- Provide thought partnership to new and existing grantees on research designs and methods; manage relationships with key stakeholders, experts, and new and existing grantees
- Review, critique, and draft summaries of relevant research literature to inform strategic priorities and the development of future investments
- Manage research investments and track progress and impact and draw lessons from these investments to inform strategic priorities and the development of future investments
- Undergraduate degree required
- Advanced degree(s) preferred in a relevant field such as criminal justice or criminology, public policy, economics, psychology, sociology, economics, or other social sciences
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience, preferably experience conducting, managing, and/or supporting policy-relevant criminal justice research and evaluation projects
- Ability to summarize research findings into key takeaways for diverse audiences
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in methods, statistics, and research designs and the use of rigorous research to support criminal justice reform
- Proven commitment to and passion for racial justice and social justice
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey research findings and complex ideas in a clear and concise manner and to communicate with both researchers and policymakers
- Adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- Creative and innovative mindset to strategically partner and collaborate with team members
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, and receptive to feedback
- Action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- Able to interact confidently with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals impacted by the justice system
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.