Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: New York, NY
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Department: Criminal Justice – Pretrial Justice
Report to: Director of Criminal Justice
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Arnold Ventures’ Criminal Justice initiative aims to advance community safety and the values of fairness, effectiveness, and racial justice. We fund innovative work in five domains: Policing, Pretrial Justice, Community Supervision, Prisons, and Reintegration. The Initiative works with teams of experts from inside and outside government and across disciplines to address the injustices in the U.S. criminal legal system through research-informed policy change.
We are seeking a Manager of Criminal Justice to serve on the Pretrial Justice team to help research, analyze, develop, and manage high-impact projects in the field of criminal justice, with a focus on the role of bail, pretrial detention, prosecutors, defense counsel, and the courts. The Manager will report to the Director of Criminal Justice overseeing the prosecution and public defense portfolios, but will also work on the pretrial team’s other portfolios including bail reform. (Learn more information about our pretrial justice portfolios.)
- Research, develop, evaluate, and track potential policy areas and projects, with a particular focus on the topics of bail reform, prosecution, and public defense
- Identify, develop, and present potential grant opportunities that are aligned with the Criminal Justice initiative’s strategies to the Vice President of Criminal Justice, Executive Vice President of Criminal Justice, and Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors
- Manage and track grants approved by Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors, which will include working with grantees and partners to develop strategic plans, establish performance metrics, and monitor progress and impact
- Draft documents, such as funding proposals, PowerPoint presentations, issue briefs, legal and research summaries, and annual reports, for Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors and members of the Criminal Justice initiative
- Collaborate with other Arnold Ventures teams to explore and develop cross-initiative opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
- Advanced degree(s) in public policy, economics, law, business and management, or other related fields; or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 3-6 years relevant work experience, preferably in positions involving policy, research and project management responsibilities with a focus on bail, pretrial detention, prosecutors, defense counsel, and the courts
- A deep understanding of the criminal justice system and criminal justice policy
- Proven commitment to and passion for social justice and impact
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to thrive in a variety of situations
- Able to develop, engage, and collaborate with a strong, diverse network of organizations and experts
- Action-oriented, creative, and entrepreneurial self-starter who assumes personal ownership of work and is capable of effectively prioritizing and working simultaneously on multiple projects
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, and receptive to feedback
- Ability to build trust, communicate effectively, and collaborate with senior leadership
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.