Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Houston, TX
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Report to: Assistant General Counsel
Travel: Occasional travel expected
The Legal Counsel will serve as the primary legal contact for specified programmatic teams, acting as a thought partner and strategic advisor on project proposals and organizational investments. The Legal Counsel will also play a leading role in formulating and executing upon broader legal team initiatives and special projects. The successful candidate will possess significant transactional experience and an ability to take initiative, assess priorities, and manage multiple assignments.
The Legal team helps Arnold Ventures advance its objectives by providing solutions-oriented, high-quality legal advice and counsel. Our team of professionals provides legal advice and services to Arnold Ventures’ board, leadership, and programmatic and administrative teams. Our work touches upon a wide range of substantive legal areas, including tax, corporate governance, labor and employment, lobbying disclosure requirements, campaign finance, and general contract law. On any given day, the legal team might support complex grantmaking activity, structure consulting and vendor arrangements, advise on advocacy initiatives, negotiate operations contracts, or support any other number of business activities.
- Serve as the primary Legal team contact for specified programmatic teams
- Stay up–to-date and advise specified programmatic teams on laws applicable to private foundations, public charities, donor advised funds, and social welfare organizations, including IRS lobbying, state and local lobbying laws, ballot initiative regulations, self-dealing, ethics rules, and campaign intervention regulations
- Evaluate grant proposals for legal compliance and provide strategic feedback to specified programmatic teams in preparation for submitting grant proposals to Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors for funding consideration
- Review, draft, and negotiate a broad range of grant agreements, consulting agreements, vendor agreements, and MOUs
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures’ Grants, Finance, and Accounting teams to continually support and improve Arnold Ventures’ grantmaking and legal processes
- Assist in developing and presenting trainings on legal issues in collaboration with Arnold Ventures’ Assistant General Counsel
- Assist Legal team with the development and maintenance of document and knowledge management procedures
- J.D. with a minimum of 4-6 years of relevant legal experience
- Prior law firm experience, with a preference for transactional/business experience
- Incredible attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Highly self-motivated and interested in new challenges
- Works with urgency, but not in a state of panic
- Comfortable using independent judgment, making decisions when empowered, and working in an evolving environment
- Familiarity working with a 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) vehicle, a plus
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.