Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Ventures’ Health Care portfolio makes health care affordable and accessible for families, employers, and taxpayers. We fund work across several broad issue areas: Provider Payment Incentives and Medicare Sustainability, Commercial Sector Prices, Drug Prices, Clinical Trials, and Complex Care. The team works with experts from inside and outside government to reform the health care system through evidence generation, policy development, communications, technical assistance, and advocacy to support policy change.
Our Clinical Trials portfolio focuses on ensuring that FDA approval incentivizes innovation by using clinically meaningful evidence, requiring that trial data be publicly available and comparable across products, and ensuring sufficient transparency from FDA on its approval decisions.
We are seeking a Manager to support the development of new, high-leverage philanthropic opportunities and manage current investments. The Manager will serve as a primary liaison from the programmatic team to internal and external programmatic, grants, legal, and finance teams. This individual will also support the team’s policy work through research and analysis. The position offers the opportunity to collaborate closely with the team on substantive, policy-oriented projects and gain experience managing high-impact philanthropic projects and developing evidence-based policy recommendations for these health care issues. The position will be based in our Washington, DC office and reports to the Director of Health Care, Clinical Trials.
- Work with the Director and Vice President to develop and refine the strategic direction for the Health Care team’s Clinical Trials portfolio
- Conduct research/analysis to inform strategy and project development
- Analyze and synthesize relevant policy developments in the field
- Collaborate with colleagues and grantees to identify and develop charitable investments and grant recommendations to Arnold Ventures’ Board; oversee and track progress of pipeline and existing investments and grants
- Develop materials for Arnold Ventures’ Board, Executive Vice President and Vice President of Health Care, and other individuals in collaboration with team members
- Manage grants and investments, track progress and impact, and draw lessons from these investments to inform strategic priorities and the development of future investments.
- Actively contribute to team meetings regarding projects, including suggesting ideas and brainstorming; and participate in meetings with government officials, researchers, program providers, and other stakeholders
- Conduct due diligence on relevant developments in the field to inform strategy and project development; develop summary memos and other written materials for Arnold Ventures’ Board, Health Care leadership team, and other individuals in collaboration with team members
- Collaborate with the Communications team to develop materials that elevate grantee products, relevant research, policy developments, and approaches
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 4 – 6 years relevant work experience in positions involving research, policy analysis, life science consulting, or government initiatives relating to health policy; including part-time work or internships. Work experience may be substituted by formal education at the graduate level
- Understanding of the health care system and health policy. Knowledge of the federal policy and regulatory process and a demonstrated understanding or interest in clinical trials, medical product approval processes, and related federal administrative and legislative policy (e.g., FDA, CMS)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to research, summarize, and communicate key takeaways to diverse, nontechnical audiences
- Strong policy analysis and critical thinking skills
- Strong strategy development, project management, and organizational skills
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals
Arnold Ventures’ values reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.