Application deadline: Feb 20, 2023
Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Ventures’ Health Care portfolio aims to develop evidence-based policy to make health care more affordable for governments, businesses, and households. We fund work across four broad issue areas: Provider Payment Incentives and Medicare Sustainability, Commercial Sector Prices, Drug Prices, and Complex Care. The team works with experts from inside and outside government to reform the health care system through evidence generation, policy development, communications, and technical assistance to support policy change.
Our Provider Payment Incentives and Medicare Sustainability portfolio addresses a range of issues related to health care spending. It has two goals: 1) improve patient outcomes and reduce wasteful spending by shifting to payment models that reward providers for delivering efficient, high-quality care to patients, and 2) address Medicare’s fiscal challenges by slowing Medicare spending growth and strengthening its financing. Our work focuses on supporting policy change to achieve these objectives.
We are seeking a Manager to support the team’s work to identify, analyze, and develop new, high-leverage philanthropic opportunities, as well as manage current investments. This individual will also support the team’s policy work through research and analysis. The position offers the opportunity to work closely with the team on substantive, policy-oriented projects and gain experience developing and managing high-impact philanthropic projects on these health care issues. The position will be located in our Washington, DC office and report to the Director for Health Care, Payor Reform on the Health Care Team.
- Work with the Director and Vice President to develop and refine the strategic direction for the Health Care team’s Provider Payment Incentives and Medicare Sustainability portfolio;
- Conduct research/analysis to inform strategy and project development;
- Analyze and synthesize relevant policy developments in the field;
- Identify and evaluate potential grant opportunities, and collaborate with potential grantees to develop proposals;
- Actively support the Director on managing and tracking progress of existing grants;
- Develop materials for Arnold Ventures’ Board, Executive Vice President and Vice President of Health Care, and other individuals in collaboration with team members;
- Contribute to meetings with policymakers, experts, and other stakeholders; and
- Collaborate with the Communications team to draft materials that elevate relevant research, policy developments, and approaches.
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, economics or a related field required.
- 4 – 6 years relevant work experience, preferably in positions involving research, policy analysis, consulting, or government initiatives relating to health policy; including part-time work or internships.
- Understanding of the health care system and health policy. Knowledge of provider payment reform, Medicare payment policy, and the federal or state policy process preferred.
- Strong policy analysis and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear and concise manner both in writing and verbally.
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills.
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
- We have a proven commitment to and passion for racial and social justice.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity.
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback.
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: 02.20.2023Apply