Application deadline: Feb 17, 2023
Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Ventures’ Grants team is dedicated to supporting Arnold Ventures’ grantees, programmatic teams, and other internal stakeholders throughout the full grantmaking life cycle. The Grants team, in partnership with the Legal and Finance teams, is undertaking a strategic refresh of Arnold Ventures’ grantmaking practices, and this new position will join the Grants team in order to support the growth and evolution of Arnold Ventures’ grantmaking activity.
The Grants Manager will be responsible for actively supporting our programmatic teams with a variety of knowledge and project management responsibilities throughout the full grantmaking life cycle and will also support process improvement and data-related projects as the Grants team continues to identify efficiencies for Arnold Ventures’ grantmaking activity. The Grants Manager will report to the Vice President of Grants.
- Manage internal and external relationships, information, data, and deadlines for potential and existing grant and contract activities and serve as a centralized point of contact for staff and grantees for a wide variety of grant types, including but not limited to complex research projects
- Oversee collection and review of grant reports, including narrative and financial updates, to ensure grantee compliance with Arnold Ventures’ reporting requirements, policies, and applicable contractual/legal requirements
- Identify and execute amendments necessary to support the work of Arnold Ventures’ grantees in accordance with Arnold Ventures’ Amendment Policy, which often includes a detailed review of proposed budget reallocations
- Facilitate the timely submission of payments to Arnold Ventures’ Accounting team for processing
- Support Legal, Finance, programmatic, and other departments as needed in conducting pre-award due diligence, which includes ensuring adoption of increased process tracking using Arnold Ventures’ Grants System, and over time may include reviewing proposals and budgets to ensure compliance with Arnold Ventures’ policies and relevant IRS regulations, attending Board meetings, and preparing draft agreements
- Support the adoption and usage of Arnold Ventures’ Grants System by internal staff, which will include the development of trainings, data integrity reporting, and dashboards
- Address grantee questions about Arnold Ventures’ Grants System and grant processes, and troubleshoot issues or support with user guide/reference materials as needed
- Participate in field discussions and conferences, and support with the development and delivery of grantmaking best practice and grants compliance trainings for staff
- Collaborate with Legal, Finance, programmatic, and other departments as needed to continually support and improve Arnold Venture’s grantmaking processes
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in positions in the nonprofit or philanthropic sector, or in a similar support role involving contract and/or project management
- Exceptional project manager with extraordinary organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to synthesize a variety of information and communicate clearly
- Strong critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities
- Experience reviewing and managing project budgets
- Familiarity using Salesforce or another grants management platform
- Strong command of modern technology (MS Office, Google Workspace, Zoom, etc.)
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Here are some examples of our core values and work culture in action.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity.
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback.
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external partners, peers, and stakeholders.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: 02.17.2023Apply