Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Ventures’ Public Finance initiative aims to advance tax and budget policies that promote fiscal stability for governments – with a focus on the federal level – and economic opportunity, mobility, and security for Americans. We invest in developing high-quality research that helps policymakers craft smart, evidence-based legislative and administrative solutions to some of our biggest fiscal challenges. We advance our agenda through grantmaking to academic and nonprofit researchers, in-house policy analysis, and advocacy.
The Director of Public Finance will be responsible for developing successful philanthropic strategies for the Federal Tax Policy portfolio, as well as participating in policy development, education, and advocacy efforts related to the portfolio. The position reports to the Executive Vice President of Public Finance and will be based in our Washington, DC office.
- In collaboration with the Executive Vice President of Public Finance identify areas for policy development
- Coordinate with Arnold Ventures’ advocacy, communications, and external affairs teams to advance the Public Finance team’s Federal Tax Policy agenda
- Identify, develop, and present charitable investment and grant recommendations to the Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors; oversee portfolio of investments and grants, and reflect on prior and existing investments and grants to inform strategy and future recommendations
- Work with grantees to develop strategic plans, establish success metrics, and monitor performance
- Contribute to team meetings regarding projects, suggesting ideas, and brainstorming areas for improvement
- Develop relationships with external partners, including academic researchers, think tanks, and other funders, to build a network of experts and stay up-to-date on best practices in evaluation and research methods
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least eight years of experience that includes working in and around public finance issues with deep knowledge in either revenue or budget topics
- Demonstrated expertise with policymaking and budgeting at the federal level as either a practitioner, government official, advocate, or researcher
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to manage complex projects with multiple stakeholders and competing priorities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical information to internal partners and external researchers, experts, and policymakers
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- We interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals
Arnold Ventures’ values reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.