Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Houston, TX
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Department: People and Culture
Report to: Vice President of People and Culture
Travel: Occasional travel to Washington, D.C. and New York City satellite offices (quarterly) as well as industry conferences as needed
Arnold Ventures’ People and Culture team is responsible for harnessing the energy and expertise of the organization’s close to 100 employees as they seek to solve some of the nation’s most intractable problems. The People and Culture team leads the organization’s efforts to hire and invest in the brightest minds, develop and implement strategies to engage and empower employees, strengthen and activate the organization’s operational power, and fuel Arnold Ventures’ values and principles in pursuit of sustainable policy change steeped in research and evidence.
We are seeking a Director of People and Culture to lead and manage recruiting and onboarding of new employees for the organization. This individual will report into the Vice President of People and Culture and will work closely with members of the People and Culture team and leaders across the organization to operationalize Arnold Ventures’ people and culture strategy, continue to build our profile as an employer of choice, and provide counsel and thought partnership to hiring managers in ensuring candidates are treated equitably throughout the recruiting and onboarding process.
- Design and lead strategic recruiting and onboarding initiatives informed by best practices
- Coordinate and manage day-to-day recruiting efforts in partnership with hiring managers
- Develop and implement recruiting and onboarding processes and effectively communicate improvements in order to drive consistency and equity across the organization
- Plan and coordinate recruitment trainings (equitable hiring, interviewing best practices, etc.) for key stakeholders, including People and Culture team members and hiring managers
- Own the applicant tracking system and ensure its adoption through communication and training for key stakeholders, including People and Culture team members and hiring managers
- Regularly report on key recruitment metrics (talent sourcing and pipeline, offer acceptance rates, retention and attrition rates, etc.) and apply learnings to ensure employee satisfaction and positive candidate experiences
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 10-12 years of relevant experience as a recruiting professional or in a related people and culture or human resources role
- Proven commitment to principles of social justice, racial equity, and inclusion
- Strategic, entrepreneurial approach to developing ideas and designing solutions
- Action-oriented with a track record of achieving goals and objectives
- Builds and maintains strong and trusting relationships with key stakeholders both internally and externally
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Effective leadership and management skills
- Stays on top of multiple projects, plans backwards, anticipates obstacles, identifies and involves stakeholders appropriately, uses resources wisely
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.