Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Houston, TX
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Reports to: Vice President of Programs
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Arnold Ventures is working to save lives and reduce the economic, social, and criminal justice costs of the opioid epidemic. We are seeking a Director of Opioid Crisis Response to help lead our efforts on this important issue. This individual will be responsible for developing and executing a successful, scalable, and sustainable philanthropic strategy on this issue. This position reports to the Vice President of Programs, who oversees Arnold Ventures' work in targeted areas including Higher Education, the Opioid Epidemic, Contraceptive Choice & Access, new issue development, and more.
- Develop and refine high-leverage philanthropic strategies to respond to the opioid crisis in the United States in close partnership with the Vice President of Programs and Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors
- Provide leadership and day-to-day guidance for the opioid epidemic response team
- Identify, develop, and present investment/grant recommendations to address the opioid epidemic to Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors
- Execute and manage investments approved by Arnold Ventures’ Board
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key partners, including potential grantees, foundations, academics, issue experts, community organizations, and policymakers
- Collaborate with other Arnold Ventures teams to explore and develop cross-initiative opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
- Advanced degree(s) in public policy, health, or other related fields
- 10+ years relevant work experience
- Passionate about public health, and a successful track record developing and executing strategies to drive positive change in response to the opioid crisis and/or other substance use disorders
- Experience with policymaking systems and processes, including the federal, state, and local policies that relate to substance use disorder and health
- A history of designing and driving effective campaigns to advocate for and drive policy change
- Deep knowledge of the key stakeholders working on effective responses to the opioid crisis and ability to develop, engage, and collaborate with a strong network of organizations working on this issue
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Assumes personal ownership of work, action-oriented self-starter, makes things happen
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, and objective
- Collaborative, receptive to feedback, solicits and values multiple perspectives, shares knowledge, and partners with stakeholders to make change
- Ability to build trust, communicate effectively, and collaborate with senior leadership; excellent oral and written communication skills; engages with candor
- Dedicated to dignity, respect, equity, and integrity
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
If interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line of the email that the application is for the Director of Opioid Crisis Response position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.