Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
The Arnold Ventures’ Advocacy and Communications team supports our policy teams’ efforts to bring research and evidence into the policymaking process. Communications team members are responsible for translating research to a variety of audiences and developing integrated communications strategies that support and advance short- and long-term policy goals.
The Director will be responsible for drafting communications materials on behalf of Arnold Ventures (press releases, web content, op-eds, social media, etc.) that will be shared across different platforms and will target a variety of audiences, including state and federal policymakers to advance the goals of the health care portfolio. The Director will also help to lead communications strategies and communications campaigns as a part of multifaceted advocacy and narrative building campaigns that utilize AV and other grantee partner voices.
Reporting to the Vice President of Advocacy and working in close collaboration with the Health Care Programmatic team, the Director of Communications will develop and execute communications strategies that support and advance Arnold Ventures’ health care policy goals. Arnold Ventures’ Health Care portfolio aims to develop evidence-based policy to make health care more affordable for governments, businesses, and households. We fund work across four broad issue areas: Provider Payment Incentives, Commercial Sector Prices, Drug Prices, and Complex Care. This position will be based in our Washington, D.C. office.
- Work with the advocacy and communications team, health care team, and external consultants to develop integrated earned, owned, and paid media communications strategies that support and advance short- and long-term policy goals
- Develop and lead comprehensive communication strategies for advocacy campaigns, public launches and announcements
- Manage digital media strategies in coordination with health care team
- Recommend communications tactics and develop or provide feedback on written materials related to the health care portfolio including but not limited to web stories, social media content, policy overviews and issue briefs
- Support the health care team in translating and elevating grantee research and other products
- Coordinate cross-functional projects and priorities across health care, advocacy, and communications teams, offering clear and timely internal communications and project management
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with local, state, and national media
- Recommend and develop strategic media pitches and opportunities for internal experts to weigh in on issues
- 10 years of relevant experience in health care communications, public affairs, media relations, political campaigns, public policy communications, or related area
- Demonstrated experience working in health care communications
- Proven ability to craft and execute high-impact communications strategies in partnership with diverse stakeholders
- Exceptional communications strategy development and execution, project management, and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate key takeaways to diverse, nontechnical audiences
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals impacted by the justice system
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.