Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Houston, TX
Term: Paid internship – full-time, summer 2021
Reports to: Director & Managing Editor
The Communications Team at one of the largest philanthropies in the country is looking for a summer intern who believes in the power of storytelling to make the world a better place. The intern should both thrive in ambiguity and obsess about details, and will be called on to support communications strategies of all kinds as we work to amplify the goals of our issues teams. Working directly for the Director and Managing Editor, the intern will work on a variety of external and internal projects with stakeholders across the organization. This is a unique opportunity to join a forward-thinking, results-driven team as it grows and evolves to most effectively tell stories around some of the most pressing issues of our time.
Responsibilities will vary, based on program needs and the news of the day, but could include:
- Collaborating with subject-matter experts, write and produce stories for ArnoldVentures.org
- Work with social media specialists to write and curate social content across platforms
- Assist with planning and logistics for events
- Create materials for distribution to media
- Assist with internal communications projects
- Rising junior or senior with a declared major in journalism, strategic communications, public relations or a related field.
- Previous internships/experience in student media or agency preferred.
- Proven ability to write with clarity and efficiency
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Multimedia and/or social media production experience is a plus
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter and writing sample in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.