Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Arnold Ventures’ Criminal Justice Initiative aims to advance community safety and the values of fairness, effectiveness, and racial justice. We fund innovative work in five domains: Policing, Pretrial Justice, Community Supervision, Prisons, and Reintegration. The Initiative works with teams of experts from inside and outside government and across disciplines to reform the U.S. criminal justice system through research, evidence, testing innovative pilot programs, and policy change.
We are seeking a Chief of Staff to support the Criminal Justice team’s strategic and operational efforts. The Criminal Justice Chief of Staff will serve as a strategic partner to Criminal Justice team leadership and staff, manage operational activities, and create and maintain cross-departmental relationships. The Criminal Justice Chief of Staff will also help research, analyze, develop, and manage high-impact projects in the field of criminal justice. The Criminal Justice Chief of Staff will report directly to the Executive Vice President of Criminal Justice.
- Facilitate the Criminal Justice team’s day-to-day operations, in close coordination with the Executive Vice President of Criminal Justice
- Research, develop, evaluate, and track projects within the Criminal Justice team’s priority areas
- Responsible for internal Criminal Justice team meetings agendas, project tracking, and team meeting management
- Provide guidance to the Criminal Justice team around engagement with Arnold Ventures Board of Directors
- Compose, fact-check, and/or edit presentation slides, policy papers, website content, and other written materials
- Develop and manage relationships with relevant stakeholders
- Support hiring and recruitment, performance review process, and development opportunities
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures Communications, External Affairs, and Advocacy teams to support the development and implementation of strategic goals
- Partner with other Arnold Ventures teams on the development and execution of new policies and procedures
- Support the Executive Vice President of Criminal Justice with special projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required in a relevant field such as business, public policy, criminal justice, law or economics
- 5 years of experience, preferably in positions involving a significant volume of operational and project management responsibilities
- Strong strategy development, project management, and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate key takeaways to diverse, nontechnical audiences
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals impacted by the justice system
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
The salary range for this role will be $100,000 to $130,000 per year.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.