Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Houston, TX
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Report to: General Counsel
Travel: Occasional travel expected
The Legal Counsel will serve as the primary legal contact for specified programmatic teams, acting as a thought partner and strategic adviser on project proposals and organizational investments. The successful candidate will possess significant transactional experience and an ability to take initiative, assess priorities, and manage multiple assignments.
The Legal Team
The legal team helps Arnold Ventures advance its objectives by providing solutions-oriented, high-quality legal advice and counsel. Our team of professionals provides legal advice and services to Arnold Ventures’ board, leadership, and programmatic and administrative teams. Our work touches upon a wide range of substantive legal areas, including tax, corporate governance, intellectual property, and lobbying disclosure requirements. On any given day, the legal team might support complex grant making activity, structure consulting and vendor arrangements, advise on advocacy initiatives, negotiate operations contracts, or support any other number of business activities.
- Serve as the primary contact for specified programmatic teams
- Stay up–to-date and advise specified programmatic teams on laws applicable to private foundations, public charities, donor advised funds, and social welfare organizations, including IRS lobbying, state and local lobbying laws, ballot initiative regulations, self-dealing, ethics rules, and campaign intervention regulations
- Evaluate grant proposals for legal compliance and provide strategic feedback to specified programmatic teams in preparation for submitting grant proposals to Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors for funding consideration
- Review, draft, and negotiate a broad range of grant agreements, consulting agreements, vendor agreements, and MOUs
- Collaborate with Arnold Ventures’ Grants, Finance, and Accounting teams to continually support and improve Arnold Ventures’ grant making and legal processes
- Assist in developing and presenting trainings on legal issues in collaboration with Arnold Ventures’ Assistant General Counsel
- Assist legal team with the development and maintenance of document management procedures
- Passionate about Arnold Ventures’ mission
- J.D. with a minimum of four to six years of relevant legal experience
- Prior law firm experience, with preference for a business/transactional lawyer
- Prior experience working with a 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) vehicle, a plus.
- Incredible attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Highly self-motivated and interested in new challenges
- Works with urgency, but not in a state of panic
- Comfortable using independent judgment, making decisions when empowered, and working in an evolving environment
- Exceptional communication skills
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication