Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. Our core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice.
Position: General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Location: Houston, TX
Reporting to the President and CEO, the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary is responsible for leading strategic legal initiatives and providing legal counsel in support of all initiatives undertaken by the Foundation. The General Counsel will work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, President and CEO, Executive Leadership Team, and other employees as needed in setting the strategic direction of the Foundation. The General Counsel and Corporate Secretary will also be responsible for maintaining the official records of the philanthropy and coordinating meetings and communications with the Board.
- Providing strategic legal advice and counsel
- Advising the Board, President and CEO, Executive Leadership Team, and other employees on a broad range of corporate, employee, employee benefits, intellectual property, tax, regulatory, and compliance matters
- Overseeing and coordinating litigation
- Providing advice and counsel to the Board on corporate governance matters
- Providing sound legal advice on issues affecting existing and future business where risks and mitigation strategies are clearly identified
- Structuring and leading the Arnold Ventures legal team
- Ensuring compliance with corporate and regulatory requirements
- Leading the development of and overseeing compliance with corporate policies, procedures, and programs
- Overseeing the selection, retention, management, and evaluation of outside counsel
- Partnering with the human resources team on employee matters as needed
- Maintaining the official records of the Foundation
- Coordinating meetings and communications with the Board Negotiating and drafting legal documents
- Ensuring the Board has the resources and information required to fulfill fiduciary duties and comply with Arnold Ventures' governing documents
- Maintaining and acting as custodian of all corporate and legal records and documents
- Participating as a member of the Executive Leadership Team
- Other related duties as directed by the Board and/or President and CEO.
Essential Skills, Experience, & Qualities:
- J.D. with 15+ years of legal experience in a major non-profit organization, large law firm, or large corporate in-house legal practice required
- Demonstrated knowledge of tax-exempt organizations preferred but not required Strategic, creative, and solutions-oriented
- Proven track record of moving projects across the finish line timely and efficiently
- Proven success in providing legal guidance in complex organizations and a deeply held commitment to collaborative decision-making.
- Significant experience building and leading a highly-effective legal team
- Ability to manage and motivate employees through effective leadership, mentoring, communications, development, facilitation, and evaluation
- High level of ethics and commitment to the Foundation’s mission, vision, strategy, and values
- Absolute trust, integrity, and discretion
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Highly self-motivated, positive, resourceful, tenacious, and adaptable
If you are interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line of the email that the application is for the position of General Counsel. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.