Arnold Ventures, a key player in national efforts to reimagine criminal justice, is looking for a media-savvy strategist to support the philanthropy's growing criminal justice portfolio while advancing the communications team’s multimedia story-telling efforts. The communications manager will work collaboratively with in-house experts, communications team colleagues and consultants to increase visibility of the foundation’s work to address multiple facets of the criminal justice system, from pretrial to community supervision.
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications, the manager will build out both short- and long-term communications strategies responsive to the criminal justice team’s goals and in alignment with the organization’s big-picture media strategy. The ideal candidate will have a passion for criminal justice advocacy matched only by a desire and proven ability to tell compelling stories in multimedia-rich formats.
Essential Skills, Experience, & Qualities:
- Experience developing and executing communications plans
- Extensive writing and editing experience
- Ability to evaluate complex information, to see all sides of an issue and provide communications recommendations
- Ability to multitask and to simultaneously handle a variety of projects
- Keen attention to detail
- Manage relationships with criminal justice team, developing communications strategies, including earned, owned, and paid media, in support of short- and long-term goals
- Develop integrated internal and external communications plans and create necessary content, including executive communiques, web features, informational graphics, annual reports, fact sheets, and op-ed submissions
- Advise programmatic teams on message framing, media positioning, and utilization of communications consultants
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with local, state, and national media
- Develop and manage grantee communications strategies, protocols, and materials
- Review and guide issue briefs, solution papers, written public testimony, and requests for proposals
- In coordination with media relations manager, recommend and develop press releases and media advisories, strategic media pitches, and opportunities for internal experts to weigh in on an issue
- Coordinate digital media strategies with communications team members, ensuring alignment with both programmatic and broader foundation goals
- Develop and lead comprehensive strategies for public launches and announcements, following communications and event-planning best practices
- Minimum of 10 years of experience as a professional writer, journalist, or in a related communications role
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, political science, public policy, or a related field
If you are interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line of the email that the application is for the position of Communications Manager – Criminal Justice. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.